Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carb float pin

Hi
    I'm busy stripping and cleaning my carbs. In order to remove the carb floats you have to punch out the hinge pin. That's fine - it comes out pretty easily. When I come to put the carbs back together, how do I fix the pin back in?

Also, the air screw is sealed in with sort of sticky rubber plug. It won't come out in one piece. What should I replace it with when I put it all back together?

Thanks

Roger

Hi Just push the float pin in with your hand. Once the float bowl is installed it will not go anywhere. Are you talking about the rubber plug inside the float bowl?? If it is bad you need to replace it

Comment

Hi Roger,

You said:

Also, the air screw is sealed in with sort of sticky rubber plug. It won't come out in one piece. What should I replace it with when I put it all back together?
      If you're not talking about the bottom black plug which SqDancert mentioned (which is inside the float bowl), you probably mean the cylindrical bore on top of the carb, where the mixture screw is located. I've seen that some people fill this up with caulk, to prevent others from messing with the mixture screw, or to possibly keep dirt out. If that's the case, you don't need to worry about it..........no need to "plug" it back up.
      Frosty (falsely accused of "Thread-Hijacking"!)
      "Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot."

Owner of:
      1982 GS1100E
      1995 Triumph Daytona 1200

Comment

Ron
        Thanks, that's the thing I meant. I thought I might make a plug of wax or something just to keep the dirt out but now maybe I don't need to.

Lynn. Having punched out the pin, it now just slides in and out of the mount really easily. Isn't there a danger that the pins will just slide out of their mounts - or isn't there enough room for movement?

Thanks
        Roger

Comment

Roger,

The pins cannot slide out by accident when the float bowl is in place. Those 2 posts that the pin goes through stick into the narrowed portion of the float bowl....it doesn't allow room for the pin to come out.

In fact, in order to ease cleaning of my carbs (and to help prevent the breaking of the posts), I ground my pins down just a little, to allow them to slide in and out of the posts without any problems. Works fine.

Good Luck!

Owner of:
          1982 GS1100E

Comment

AAHAAAaaa!!!

Frosty returns!!!

Welcome back!
            Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

AAHAAAaaa!!!

Frosty returns!!!

Welcome back!
              As if you missed my sarcasm, lol............

Owner of:
              1982 GS1100E

Comment

Working...
              X