Rotor removal tool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rotor removal tool

Hello All. Thanks to those of you who helped me out with my starter clutch questions. I have also learned alot about other problems I had just from reading others posts. Thanks guys :P

I have a 1980 GS750 that was given to me by my brother in law. I've recently been bringing it back to life. New battery,wiring,chain,pod filters,spark plugs ect. I finally got it running good with the increased air flow through the filters. Just alot of trial and error. So far so good.

But then about a week later my starter clutch goes out. Turns out its cracked. :x
    Well here is my current problem. I need to remove the rotor/flywheel to change my starter clutch. I've read alot of back posts looking for an answer, but cant seem to find anything for this application. I know I need a special puller, but reading other posts I've found that the tool I thought i needed wont work. I'm referring to the 16mm x 1.5 bolt/puller. An earlier post stated that this bolt chewed up his threads, and I don't want that. Is the puller I need just a special bolt or is that the wrong tool for ther job? I've found a few places that sell this tool, but none are very specific as to what size I need.
    Any suggestions as to what size bolt I need or maybe a different tool? :?

I'm not sure who's threads got chewed up or how it happened, but you need to thread the puller on as far as you can to avoid this, the puller threads onto a threaded boss on the rotor(after retaining nut is removed) and a bolt goes thru the puller to press on the crank end and pull the rotor off, this is a 34mm one:

Comment

I had to buy a tool because the one i could have borrowed was too large--measure the threads with a caliper

Comment

Daveo, thats a GS1100 tool, the 750 uses a male extractor, which is just a male thread. The proper tool is much better than a bolt as it will be more precisely cut and hardened.

I got a Pro-Motion one which works fine.

Comment

Originally posted by brit7.11
          Daveo, thats a GS1100 tool, the 750 uses a male extractor,
          Yes it is, my bad

Comment

Hey, thanks for the info guys. Well from what I've seen there are 2 different types of this tool, one that is a 2 piece unit, which daveo posted a pic of, and the other just a hardened "bolt". So the 2 piece tool is used for the GS1100 and the GS750 uses the male extractor alone? What is the difference between these 2 motors that you need a different tool?

Comment

The 1100 rotor is retained by a nut on a threaded spigot.
              The 750/850/1000 rotor is held on by a bolt screwed into the hollow end of the crankshaft.

Comment

Working...
              X