• Time
  • Show
Clear All

1978 GS 1000 problem

bike revs up, will not idle down

carbs are stock and clean

new manifolds

please help

When did this start, and what had you done prior? A few things come to mind: A vacuum leak at the manifolds, the idle speed adjustment at the bottom of the carb bank, a sticking cable, a stuck choke.

Tim

Comment

wow that was fast thanks

bike sat for a couple of months - started doing this before - thats when I replaced the manifolds

not cable - carbs fully closed

not chokes - manual lever pushes them closed

I can set the idle speed fine

would carb synch effect ???

Comment

Hi Harry welcome to the forum.

Does your throttle move freely? or do you have to manually move it back?

Comment

Are you saying that with the carbs fully closed that it still doesn't idle down?

Also have you check to make sure your choke is actually closing? A week or loose cable there will leave the choke open although you have pushed then lever closed.

Comment

throttle has open and close cables - plus springs back closed with a good "pop"

chokes are not cable operated - one lever opens and closes all 4 at one time

Comment

This is almost certainly an air or mixture leak downstream of the throttle slides.

Have you checked all 4 carb sync port blanking screws are still there?
              Have you checked all 4 carbs still have all their pilot air screws, and are they set correctly?
              Do all 4 manifolds have the o-ring fitted correctly?
              Are the carbs seated properly in the manifolds?

Comment

thanks - now I have some things to check

does anyone know the correct settings for ALL the screws

my manual says - do not touch - one of the screws ( on bottom ? ), so I have no idea what the setting is or what the screw does.

Comment

Screws on sides -- 1 1/4 turns out (factory setting with airbox and stock exhaust)

Screws on bottom -- 1 5/8 turns out APPROX. Factorys set but generally 1 5/8 will work OK as a default. Yellow paint should indicate correct setting.

Comment

Working...
                  X