Brake pad part #

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brake pad part #

I know someone can help me with the part # for a 79' gs 850's front brake pads (the round ones) well and why not the rear pads as well if its not to much trouble. I have found them on CRC2 and Ron Ayers but all their pad pictures are of the square variety, I just want to be sure I'm ordering the right ones. And Earl if you read this, have you had any luck dealing with Sun Sports Cycles in Fort Myers? Just wondering. Thanks for any help.

I can't help you with the part number for the round front pads, but I can tell you that I had a 79 GS850, and I replaced the calipers with those off a 1982 GS850. They fit the forks perfectly and lined up with the discs also perfectly.

You may want to check into getting the front calipers on more recent 850's. These calipers fit countless GS models, including all the shafties (except for the 79 850) and many chained bikes like the GS750, etc. It's easy to find pads for these. The EBC brand part number for these front pads is 51.

The rear pads are totally interchangeable among GS bikes, including all shafties and probably most chainies as well. They are EBC #36. These are available at many dealers; I get mine real cheap on eBay.

Nick

Comment

The EBC part number for the round brake pads used on the pre-1980 GS750's and 850's is 35. The EBC web site has their complete catalog available:

These pads pop up on eBay from time to time, too. I've picked up a set to keep in reserve for my 750.

Comment

Thanks guys, I had been talking with Earl about possibly changing out the entire fork assembly and all with a newer set to accomodate a more recent caliper set up, but if the '82 calipers fit the '79 forks than that would rock. Thanks guys.

Comment

if the '82 calipers fit the '79 forks than that would rock.

They certainly do fit. The forks, calipers, and wheels on the big shafties (850's, 1000's, and 1100's) are all interchangeable. Not necessarily the same part number, but everything fits every model.

On my 84 GS1100GK I run a 1979 GS850 front wheel with slotted 1980 GS850 discs. The solid 850 discs also fit, even if they're a little thicker.
          The original tubeless GK wheel had been damaged, but the old 850 wheels fit perfectly, as does the speedo drive gear.

That's what I like about the GS line -- the interchangeability of parts.

Nick

Comment

Thanks a lot, is there a site or something where one could find a list or documentation on what years parts are interchangable with another years?

Comment

Not that I know of ...

...wait a minute, it's called "The GS Resources". www.thegsresources.com and look for the forum!

Nick

Comment

Re: Brake pad part #

I have only been to Ft Myers Sunsport once about a year ago. I needed a part and their parts people were too busy with doughnuts and coffee. After waiting a half hour for someone to ask if I needed anything, I walked out.
                Never going back.

Order the pads from CRC (get the vesrah.......I think they work more smoothly than the EBC.......but just my opinion.) My 79 750 uses the round pads on the front and the square ones on the rear. They send the correct pads regardless of the picture on the site. :-)

Earl

Originally posted by walkergs850
                I know someone can help me with the part # for a 79' gs 850's front brake pads (the round ones) well and why not the rear pads as well if its not to much trouble. I have found them on CRC2 and Ron Ayers but all their pad pictures are of the square variety, I just want to be sure I'm ordering the right ones. And Earl if you read this, have you had any luck dealing with Sun Sports Cycles in Fort Myers? Just wondering. Thanks for any help.
                Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Thanks again. Earl: I called Sunsport last weekend and was told quite rudely that they will basically not waste their time giving me any parts help on anything 10 years or older. Thankfully there's the internet.

Comment

Those Sunsport people sound like a bunch of losers. Bad business.
                    I guess your money was'nt green enough for 'em.
                    And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                    Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

As long as the plastic stays shiney enough for internet shops like ronayers.com and crc2online, I'll be happy.

Comment

Working...
                      X