GS 850 GD rear end swap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS 850 GD rear end swap?

I own a 1983 GS 850 GD. I would like to know if anyone has ever put a GS 1000G rear end on it to lower the rpm's so it would cruise with less rpm's and vibration? Or is the 1000 or 1150 rear end the same and it would make no difference?

The best way to raise the gearing on an 850 is to get a GS1100G or GK. I owned four consecutive 850's from 1986 thru 1999; low gearing was the one complaint I had about the 850's (two 82s, one 79, one 80).

The 1100 shaftie has longer legs due to its internal higher gearing, either from the transmission or the middle box, or both. All rear ends on all GS shafties, whether 650s, 850s, 1000s, or 1100s are interchangeable. You won't gain anything by getting a different rear end.

The 850 is a great bike, but the 1100 does one better by being able to cruise at 75 to 80 mph all day without all that high-pitched engine noise. Nothing can be done about the 850's low gearing.

Nick

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Diaz
      The best way to raise the gearing on an 850 is to get a GS1100G or GK. I owned four consecutive 850's from 1986 thru 1999; low gearing was the one complaint I had about the 850's (two 82s, one 79, one 80).

The 1100 shaftie has longer legs due to its internal higher gearing, either from the transmission or the middle box, or both. All rear ends on all GS shafties, whether 650s, 850s, 1000s, or 1100s are interchangeable. You won't gain anything by getting a different rear end.

The 850 is a great bike, but the 1100 does one better by being able to cruise at 75 to 80 mph all day without all that high-pitched engine noise. Nothing can be done about the 850's low gearing.

Nick
      Heck Nick. You'll have me out buying an 1100 if you keep this up

You are right. Trouble is I found it nearly impossible to source an 1100G in the condition of my 850 in the available budget. You can understand why, 1100s seem to have high kilometres and the condition that goes with it because they could.

There is a plus side to settling for 2nd best. The smaller model seems more likely to have an easier history. There was just no comparison between the average motor condition. Cosmetics doesn't matter much - easy fixed.

I thought there was a way to graft longer legs onto an 850??

Still would love a nice elderly (tidy) 1100G........

Comment

I hate to dispute the "Shafted One", but he is incorrect in his response.

All 850's, 1000's and up to mid year 1983 1100's had 11/34 (3.09) gearing. The later 83's and all 1984's had 11/32 (2.90) gearing. I have an 84 model rearend on my 82 1100GK. It lowers the rpm by 6%, or from 4300 rpm at 70 mph to just over 4000 rpm.

The trick is finding an 84 model as they didn't make that many and the only way to tell on the 83 models is to have the rearend off and actually check it. There are no external differences.

Comment

Well, I stand corrected, since you seem to know what you're talking about. I have a 1984 GK, which may explain why the gearing is so nice and tall, which allows me to cruise on the interstate at 75 to 85 mph without all that noise and vibration of the 850's I had. Thanks for your valued comment.

You're right in that they all look alike, don't they? In typical Suzuki form, they're interchangeable, as you have a later unit on your 82 GK.

I'd better value my rear end, then!

Nick

Comment

GS 850 GD rear end swap?

Thanks for all the great replys. As this GS looks like it just came off the showroom floor, finding a rear end to match might be nearly impossible. I will keep it stock and enjoy it!

Comment

I have also heard about the 84 beiing different gear ratio.

Comment

you could just purchase a new sproket to suit your needs .they are available at any bike shop.oh im sorry this is about shaft drive.my bad . 8) Mark
                did you try to find a whole doner bike? sometimes that is cheaper than buying just the part you need.food for thought

Comment

Snofrog, go articulate yourself...

Nick

Comment

Originally posted by gtsg01
                    I hate to dispute the "Shafted One", but he is incorrect in his response.

All 850's, 1000's and up to mid year 1983 1100's had 11/34 (3.09) gearing. The later 83's and all 1984's had 11/32 (2.90) gearing. I have an 84 model rearend on my 82 1100GK. It lowers the rpm by 6%, or from 4300 rpm at 70 mph to just over 4000 rpm.

The trick is finding an 84 model as they didn't make that many and the only way to tell on the 83 models is to have the rearend off and actually check it. There are no external differences.
                    Let me clearly understand this....the difference is in the rear diff, right? So you don't do anything up the front end - apart from what's required to swap over the shaft/diff assembly?

Comment

You don't have to do anything special. Remove the three nuts and pull the old unit off. Reinstall the new unit and tighten the nuts.

That's all there is to it!

Comment

You don't have to do anything special. Remove the three nuts and pull the old unit off. Reinstall the new unit and tighten the nuts.

That's all there is to it!
                        Cool, off to look for a new rear end then........

Dumb question....how do you know the difference - part number, count shaft turns......?

Comment

The only way I found was to count turns of the pinion gear. The ratios (2.90 and 3.09) make it pretty simple.

Mark the drive spline and the housing with a paint marker or grease pencil. Mark the pinion likewise. Turn the pinion and count the turns. If it takes less than three full turns, you have the late model. If more than three, it is the early model

I got my 2.90 rearend on Ebay, but I havent seen one in quite a while.

Good Hunting,

Comment

The only way I found was to count turns of the pinion gear. The ratios (2.90 and 3.09) make it pretty simple.

Mark the drive spline and the housing with a paint marker or grease pencil. Mark the pinion likewise. Turn the pinion and count the turns. If it takes less than three full turns, you have the late model. If more than three, it is the early model

I got my 2.90 rearend on Ebay, but I havent seen one in quite a while.

Good Hunting,
                            Thanks muchly.

Wrecker's receptionist: "Hey Bill, there's a strange guy on an old bike here with a grease pencil who wants to look at all the GS diffs...."

Comment

Working...
                            X