strange noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

strange noise

80 GS550.....started making a noise when first pulling off the line. Appears to be coming from the back of the bike. Sounds almost like what a bad CV joint on front wheel drive car sounds like. I have tried rolling the bike with the engine off to get the same sound but no luck.....any clues???

thanks
    jcurt2005

Sounds like chain skipping on the sprocket, check adjustment and more importantly, check for excess stretch. :twisted:

Comment

the sound of burning rubber?

Comment

Also make sure the chain is lubed.

Comment

i think mine is making the same noise. it's sort of a dull clunking. i feel it more than hear it tho and it usually happens if i'm going slowly up hill in 2nd or 1st gear.

Comment

Sounds to me like you have a frozen link and the chain is jerking.
            I would loosen the adjusters on the chain, push the rear axle all the way forward, and check each link to be sure it pivots freely. Once you have readjusted the chain, chain slack should be about 1" above and 1" below the chain on the bottom run when the bike is sitting on both tires and leaning on the kickstand.

Earl
            Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Working...
            X