Slotted Disc ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Slotted Disc ?

If I wanted to get a slotted front disc from the boneyard for my 1980 GS550E which years would work ? Thanks, gang.

Your 550 I would imagine has a single disc. Just remenber the disc for single setup is thicker that one for a dual disc setup

Comment

Lynn is right.

You'll probably need to replace the calipers too. The slotted discs are not only thinner, they also have less braking "surface". They won't match with the round brake pads you probably have now.
      I tried to replace the solid discs of my 79 GS850 by slotted ones from an 81 GS850; didn't work without the matching calipers (the ones with the more rectangular looking brake pads).

Comment

The single disk is also a bit larger diameter than the twin disks (if it is like the GS1000)

I use some GSX1100 slotted disks on my 78 Gs100 that came with twin disks...a little spacing on the caliper mounts is needed to get the right disk/caliper clearance. The round pads work, but can foul on the inside of the rotor. Overall brakes far better.

If you are not confident with playing around with the brakes I would leave it alone and go for a better pad compund, as this will improve braking safely.

Comment

Followup question ... what about drilling the original disc? anybody have thoughts -- I've thought about doing it to my 550.

Comment

You can drill it, as long as the holes are perfectly spaced apart, but you have to weigh the pro's and con's....

Pro's..Slotted discs run cooler during hard braking.
            Slotted discs wick-away water slightly faster than solid.

Con's...Drilling your discs can weaken them.
            Drilling them can cause tiny cracks to form eventually leading to
            failure.
            Slotted disc are not proven to 'outperform' solid disc's
            with the only exceptions being listed above in the 'pro's'.

Best bet? Get both rotor and caliper assy from donor bike. try EBAY. :twisted:

Comment

Working...
            X