rust treatments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

rust treatments

I have a little light rust in my tank not enough that anything is getting to my in-line filter, but just enough that you can see it looking into the tank.

I have used a product called Rust Mort on cars especially on battery trays and the fender near the battery where acid has gotten too the metal. It has been a good product for stopping the rust giving a good base to paint over. Rust Mort has to be painted over to be sealed.

I used another product years ago that was also a rust stabilizer that didn't need to be painted over. These products were said to convert the rust into a passive layer to prevent further rust. Years before that I can remember a product that was simular used to treat rust in gas tanks but it contained chromates and so doesn't exist anymore.

I wanted to know if anyone has found any simular products for treating the rust in their gas tanks. I don't really want to coat the tank, as that is really a one-time go/no go sort of thing. But something like this to get rid of the rust that has started actually sounds like it would be worth a try if I could find a product that is for gas tanks.

I've looked at a few products like Rust-X and they say they are not to be used for any application that will be covered by any kind of liquid.

Mike

Easy, Mike.

Drain and dry it. Then fill it with a 50/50 mixture of vinegar/water....use pickling vinegar...it's stronger. Vinegar is usually on sale at this time of year.

Leave the mixture there overnight, or even a full day.

Dump most of the liquid, then put in a handful of loose bolts......count them first. Put the lid on and shake the tank in all directions for at least a full minute.

Turn the tank upside down to drain, and keep it that way. Rinse really well. All done? Rinse again, with the hose as far into the tank as it can go, and using maximum pressure.

Count the bolts. The number out must match the number in.

IMMEDIATELY dry thoroughly. This is important to avoid flash rust.

Use a hair dryer on max.....there is no fire danger from residual gas and/or vapours if you do this right after rinsing the tank.

NOW.....repeat NOW.... put the tank back on the bike, fill it with gas and keep it that way forever more.

Alternative.....take the tank to a gasoline tank repair shop, or even a radiator repair shop. Have them clean and re-line it for you.

Cost should be under $100, and you should get a WRITTEN guarantee.

Very important:

Ask them first what they will do to avoid damaging the paint.
    Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Do it yourself supplies http://www.por15.com/restorationkits.html
      look under HD utility and Cycle Fuel tank repair kits

Comment

I do like Ron, keep the tank full, the same little bit of surface rust that was there when I got the bike 10 yrs. ago, hasn't gotten any worse, maybe if it's going to sit for the winter add some methyl (or is it ethyl?, anyhow,use the one that DOESN'T make you go blind) alcohol gas-line dryer to absorb any water in the gas

Comment

Thanks for the info everyone.

I may just go the way Daveo suggests and keep an eye on it and keep the tank full. It is only light rust and not really anything to worry about at this point. I was just looking at what I could to ensure that it stayed that way.

Mike

Comment

Working...
          X