It started and then.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It started and then.....

I put a CDI unit on and it started idled way high. I checked other posts, found possible causes like gaps in boots around carb to air box and engine, tightened those up, bolts on headers were loose, tighten them, went to start it, nothing, cranks but no start. I am ready to drop it over a cliff. What the #### did I do wrong? Help please. :x :x :x :x :x

give us more to go on, as in, why did you change the CDI, was the old one broken? are the symptoms the same as before you installed it? A high idle usually indicates lean mixture, so is all vacuum hoses connected? fuel in tank? is it getting to the carbs? pull plug and tell us if your getting a spark, check all wiring. Let us know something :twisted:

Comment

The CDI box was bad. I installed a used one and bingo! but this time cyl's 1 and 4 were cold and 3 and 2 were hot. The opposite as before. Took out plugs from 1 & 4, cleaned them. They were wet. cleaned them, reinstalled and TaDa all 4 fired. The idle was sky high. I rolled back on the throttle and it would start to die. There was no air filter in so I tried to restrict air flow by blocking it with my hand. Nothing. I got scared thinking that something was seriously wrong so I cut the bike off. I waited a few seconds and restarted it and the same thing, sky high idle. I came back to check out some posts on the subject. Went back and tightened my boots on the carb and I noticed that the bolts on the headers were loose so I tightened them. Tried to start it, nothing, crank but no start. chaecked the plugs again.#1-wet,#2-good,#4-wet, #3-wet. Cleaned, installed, same problem. My troublingshooting isn't good so I looked at the manual.Oh! by the way I did check out the spark and maybe its me but the spark that I see to me looks weak. Anyway after looking at the trouble shooting I decide to check the pick coil. I forget the value the book says is normal ohm reading but I got no ohm reading. Does that mean that the pick up coil is bad? I hope I included enough info for you guys to go on.

Comment

If your ignition was burned out, you should immediately suspect that the regulator is not regulating, thus giving you 18+ volts. This will quickly burn out an ignition, and you may have done that to the new ignition. Pull the plugs, plug them into the caps and lay them against the head. Turn the motor over and see if there are 4 sparks.

The high idle was caused by someone turning the idle way up when it was running on 2 cylinders. It needs to be turned down in order to use the choke (in most situations).

Comment

spark color

My spark on all four is a weak looking and orange. Isn't it supposed to be fat and blue?

Comment

Working...
          X