Help with installing new coils

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with installing new coils

Newbie here, just bought a 79 GS75 about a month ago and it was only running on 2 cylinders so I decided to upgrade the whole ignition system with the Dyna III and some accel coils "almost new" off ebay that came off a GS1100. I put them on my bike and the coils didnt have - or + labled on them, so I just guessed. I bought a clymer manual for it but it's still in the mail. So my question is can someone help me out with which terminal on the coil the orange and white wire go to and elimination will do the rest. I also dont know which plug wire goes to which cyl with the almost new accel coils they are slightly different than stock. Anybody have an old set of directions maybe?? haha any help would be much appreciated. thanks

The coils themselves aren't polarized, so each one gets a hot, on either terminal, the other terminal gets the appropriate 1-4, or 2-3, lead from the Dyna module

Comment

Seems to me the coil on the left side is for 1 & 4, No polarity on the coils

Comment

No + or - any where?

Seems strange that they wouldn't put any marks on them. Even it doesn't really matter it would avoid confusion like you have. Are you sure they don't have marks any where. Maybee on the sides, or bottom, or right next to the poles. The GSX-r coils I instaled had them next to the poles. I almost didn't see them becouse the negative mark looked like part of the molding. The positive barely stood out.

Comment

I just Dyna sized my gs1100. The new coils are NOT marked. However... the line drawing from Dyna shows the B+ ignition feed goes to the terminal opposite the secondary plug wire outputs. The "-" or signal from the igniter/points goes to the terminal closest to the plug outputs.

Comment

Yeah the coil on the left is 1-4... I cant tell which one is 1 and which one is 4 though? Just I just switch it up and see if runs then etc... ?

Comment

Originally posted by chgs750
              Yeah the coil on the left is 1-4... I cant tell which one is 1 and which one is 4 though? Just I just switch it up and see if runs then etc... ?
              doesn't matter, it's dual fire, put them where they best fit, as long as one's on 1 and the other on 4 (never crank engine with coil secondaries ungrounded)

Comment

they installed nicely in the stock location as the old stock coils were. The bolts and such are suffecient groung right? Or should I add an additional ground wire attached to them.

Comment

they installed nicely in the stock location as the old stock coils were. The bolts and such are suffecient groung right? Or should I add an additional ground wire attached to them.
                  no what you have is fine, what I was talking about is having the plug wires(coil secondaries) not grounded (ie. on installed spark plug, or grounded to engine) when you're cranking the bike, it overloads the side that is grounded (connected), if neither are grounded, the discharge can arc right thru the coil case to ground, ruining the coil

Comment

Originally posted by daveo
                    no what you have is fine, what I was talking about is having the plug wires(coil secondaries) not grounded (ie. on installed spark plug, or grounded to engine) when you're cranking the bike, it overloads the side that is connected, if neither are connected, the discharge can arc right thru the coil case to ground, ruining the coil
                    i dont believe that the mounting bolts are even in the circuit or you would have the coils firing constantly or the spark would also be going to the frame. Those primaries are just a coil hookefd to the wires from the output of the ignitor box. I just went through that yesterday and the wires can be hooked to either of the primary lugs.
                    I just switched one pair of wires on one coil primaryside to allow me to gain acces to a spot to connect the shift light. it runs ok so far.
                    8O :?

Comment

Originally posted by slowpokey
                      i dont believe that the mounting bolts are even in the circuit or you would have the coils firing constantly or the spark would also be going to the frame. 8O :?
                      They are not in the 'circuit' so to speak, they are the extension of the laminated core, around which the coils are wound, the coil iself doesn't need to be grounded to function, as the neg. from module causes the primary to ground, thereby forcing the secondary to discharge

Comment

many many thanks

Thanks fellas for helpin out with installing these coils. I got this bike runnin yesterday after installing a new dyna III ign, and a used set of accel 3 ohm coils off of ebay. It fired right up, and all I can say is WOW! Man am I glad I bought this bike... It has a rusted up 4 into 1 vance and hines pipe, new tires, freshly rebuilt carbs jetted for the pipe, and I bought it for 750 bucks in WVA... it wasnt runnin right when I bought it but I felt the pipe and 2-3 cyl pipes were cold so I knew it was a coil or ign problem. Its my 3rd bike.. (my first being a 79 honda cx500, and 2nd a Kaw 1100 LTD)
                        I havent set the timing on it yet after installing the dyna, but it runs, and pulls real hard! It needs some major clean up still but what a bike! Cant wait for spring. 8)

Comment

Working...
                        X