Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

help... can't tighten my left and right handle switches

1981 gs850g

just swapped my handlebars and the screws that tighten the left and right switches just rotate freely. it doesn't tighten or loosen. what can i do???

Sounds like the hole threads are stripped. That happens pretty easily on the ABS plastic... I'd suggest going to the hardware store and looking for a larger, selt-tapping screw. Look for something just slightly bigger, perhaps a sheet metal screw.

Another, less pretty, solution could be drilling the screwholes all the way through and putting a bolt-and-nut combo all the way through. You could even just leave the old stripped screws and put one big screw or bolt through to hold it together.

And there are always parts bikes. You should be able to find something on eBay or from somebody here.

Michael

Comment

the nut on the other end of the screw rotates freely

Comment

Is this like a recessed hole where the nut sets in flush? You're going to have to lock down the nut somehow, or find newer casings from the wreckers... If the recessed hole is rounded, perhaps you can get some needle nose pliers in there to hold the nut? Perhaps a small lockwasher fitted first (stainless, if you can...)

Robben

Comment

Originally posted by robben
          Is this like a recessed hole where the nut sets in flush? You're going to have to lock down the nut somehow, or find newer casings from the wreckers... If the recessed hole is rounded, perhaps you can get some needle nose pliers in there to hold the nut? Perhaps a small lockwasher fitted first (stainless, if you can...)

Robben
          If it is that the nuts are turning in a recessed hole I have had good luck potting the nut in with JB Weld to hold it in place. Just put a little JB weld on each of the flats on the nut and then press the nut back into the recess, replace the screw to hold the nut in position and then fill the area around the nut with JB weld.

Be careful not to JB Weld the screw to the nut, let it set for a day and then it should be good.

Mike

Comment

Working...
          X