Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carb cleanup gone bad?

Hi
    I've just reassembled my carbs after stripping and cleaning them, following the instructions on this site. My reason for cleaning them was that the bike starts very badly (or not at all) in cold/damp weather. Over the couple of years I've had the bike, several people have suggested (including a couple of vehicle recovery guys) that the choke or pilot circuit is blocked and I thought it was about time I sorted it out.

I was sort of expecting that the bike would fire up first time but I haven't managed to get it started at all yet and am writing this while I wait for the battery to charge up again. Was I being over-hopeful?

Assuming the problem is due to something I did or didn't do, what's the most likely thing I'd have got wrong? I didn't have the exact settings for the fuel screws on the front of the carbs so I screwed all four down gently as far as they would go and then backed each out one and a half turns. Is that a good starting setting?

I'd removed the idle adjust screw prior to dipping the #3 carb and may not have set it back right. Would that affect starting?

Apart from those two things, I'm happy that I put everything back as I found them (but cleaner!). I thought this project had gone a bit smoothly.

Any advice gratefully received.
    Thanks
    Roger

Did you set the tank to prime for a while before trying to start it? Could be your float bowls are empty?

Comment

Yup, I put it to Prime for 5 minutes. The battery must be pretty flat- it's still charging. I've spent every evening this last week doing the carb clean up and I'm fed up now with the whole thing. I'll try to forget about it and come to it fresh tomorrow.

Roger

Comment

Hi
        Sorry everyone. This one just needed some calm thought and a good night's sleep to sort out. I simply backed out the fuel screws another half turn and the bike started fine. It's running better than before I did the carb clean so that's a result.
        I'm not the first person to say it but I thought I'd mention that the Carb Cleanup instructions on this site are brilliant.

Roger

Comment

Working...
        X