Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vetter Windammer SS wiring on GS1000L - need help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vetter Windammer SS wiring on GS1000L - need help!

I am trying to install a Vetter Windjammer SS fairing on my '79 GS1000L. I have the headlight and turn-signals wired properly (pretty much a no-brainer, especially since the headlight wiring for the fairing plugs directly into the socket for the lightbulb), but I am at a loss as to where to hook the other wires into the wiring on the bike. Supposedly, everything is supposed to wire up inside the headlight bucket. The fairing wiring code is as follows (for what ISN'T hooked up yet):

Green - Running Lights (for dual-element signal bulbs). One website I found said DON'T hook these into the headlight wiring, but didn't say where to hook them up.

Red- Cigarette Lighter/12v accessory plug.

Orange - accessory.

Brown - accessory.

I have a CycleSound stereo pod installed on the fairing, and the radio has a digital clock/frequency display and memory. I have it set up so that the orange wire is a constant 12v (for the clock and station memory), and the brown wire is supposed to be connected to a switched power source (like the ignition). I don't have a shop manual or wiring diagram for my bike (not even an owner's manual!). Eventually I plan to get a Hayne's manual, but in the meanwhile, can anyone help me out here? Even a scanned and e-mailed wiring diagram would be a GREAT help. Thanks in advance!

Check this site From the Original Maker

Comment

Thanks, but I'm afraid it's not much help. I've already downloaded the Vetter fairing mounting instructions. Unfortunately, it still doesn't tell me where to hook into the wiring on my GS1000L. That would have been in a set of supplemental instructions specific to the bike model, and Suzuki instructions are not at the Vetter website (just 1981 Honda 500, and a few Kawasaki models).

Comment

I ran a seperate fused wire from the battery ( or tie it to fuse box orange wire) to the radio (used the red wire of the vetter harness). The 12v pwr and 12v standby are both hooked up together and wired thru a toggle switch to the red power wire of the harness, if you use heavy 12-14 ga wire you can also hook up the lighter . The reason for the switch is that with the radio display, the battery will discharge, after 4-5 days you will not be able to start the bike The toggle switch disconnects it completely so there is no battery drain. Just leave the other accessorie wires disconnected unless you have other items to hook up

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1
          I ran a seperate fused wire from the battery ( or tie it to fuse box orange wire) to the radio (used the red wire of the vetter harness). The 12v pwr and 12v standby are both hooked up together and wired thru a toggle switch to the red power wire of the harness, if you use heavy 12-14 ga wire you can also hook up the lighter . The reason for the switch is that with the radio display, the battery will discharge, after 4-5 days you will not be able to start the bike The toggle switch disconnects it completely so there is no battery drain. Just leave the other accessorie wires disconnected unless you have other items to hook up
          Hmmm...interesting suggestion. I wonder if that's why my fairing had a hole drilled near the lighter socket that would have been the right size for a toggle switch? The fairing was given to me, so I don't know. Now I'm wondering where to hook up the "running lights"...

Comment

Working...
          X