Battery Charging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Battery Charging

I left my ignition on for about 6 hours, battery was dead(3 months old) i bumped started it and went home to put on charger. I have a 1 amp charger and its been on for 24 hours now. i have a headlight and dash lights, tried to start it just clicks. Am i wasting my time or will this battery ever hold a charge. i need it for work tomorrow.

Re: Battery Charging

Originally posted by bostrom155
    I left my ignition on for about 6 hours, battery was dead(3 months old) i bumped started it and went home to put on charger. I have a 1 amp charger and its been on for 24 hours now. i have a headlight and dash lights, tried to start it just clicks. Am i wasting my time or will this battery ever hold a charge. i need it for work tomorrow.
    Since the battery is only 3 months old, I'd try to charge it again.
    Does your charger have a gauge that tells you when it's reached full charge? Is the level correct? I would go for an hour ride at steady cruising speed today or after work? before I give up on charging. At least you can bump start it.
    And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
    Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

After 24 hours it should start the bike.

Since the battery is almost new, but depleted, it should perk up with no problem. Sounds like the charger may not have been properly connected, or the charger is fault.

I would try it again, but once it is connected to the battery, and plugged into a live circuit, use a voltmeter to check the voltage going in.
      Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

The voltmeter says 11.33, with the charger on it says 12.5 but when i try to start it it just buzzes, it thier not enough volts yet?

Comment

Originally posted by bostrom155
          The voltmeter says 11.33, with the charger on it says 12.5 but when i try to start it it just buzzes, it thier not enough volts yet?
          what does the volt meter say after a 24 hour charge without the charger hooked up.
          Also leeve it on for 2 days at that slow rate. A 1 amp charger should never hurt the battery. Check the connections to the start solenoid from the battery and also from the solenoid to the starter. Be fussy. a clean connection is always much better.

Comment

If the 11.3 reading was taken before the charger was connected, it suggests your battery is taking a charge, but Scotty is right (as he usually is) and you should leave the charger on for another day.

12.5 volts will get your battery up.....but it will take a while.

A one-amp charger is called a trickle charger because itl delivers its charge in a trickle, just like a faucet that has a touch more than a quick drip. It should deliver a max of one ampere per hour, but it will not necessarily put out a full amp at all times .

If you have an automatic type of charger, it would start at full output for an hour or so, then drop down, and the output would be significantly less.

It does the same when the battery gets close to a full charge, so that it does not overcharge.

This type of charger can be left on the battery for as long as you want, and is usually used as a battery tender. ....left on for the winter.

And I forgot to mention earlier.....be sure your liquid level in the battery is where it should be. If not, top it up with distilled water.
            Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Working...
            X