Seat is wasted.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seat is wasted.....

Got a 81 GS1000G it has a double "saddle" seat that is rotton and torn. Would like to go with more of a cruiser/step seat. I have been looking around but haven't seen any one who has done that with this style bike. Can any one tell me, will it work? Any problems with doing this? Could I get an apholsterer to do it and expect a decent job? Feedback anyone??????
    Greg :?

Finding a 'replacement' seat is near impossible for a stock set-up much less a 'cruiser' style. A good upolstery shop should be able to get you close to waht your looking for using the stock seat, but I don't know of anything else that will work. good luck and let us know what you find...

Comment

I have the same seat on my 850. There are several replacement covers out there but they look like the original. You will have to do what I'm going to do and that is go get it done by an apolstry shop. I took mine to a place that was recommended to me and told them exactly what I wanted due to my height. I got a quote of $125 dollars. Not bad for a brand new seat.

Comment

Took my GS650GL "King/Queen" cruiser seat to a local upholsterer who did a wonderful job, even used the back of the seat with the Suzuki name and key hole. The original had the crossed stiching on it but she advised against this, as this is where they start to split. She also redid the foam giving me a more comfortable ride Cost me $50. She has done many other bike seats, and I would look for an upholsterer who has done seats before. That way he/she doesn't have to learn on yours.

Comment

Small advice...before you get it made....ensure the vinyl used is marine grade. Much of the upholstery vinyl is for interior furniture use and will fail on a bike, but the marine quality is meant for that type of use and exposure to sun and weather..

Also check E-bay. You never know....

I bought a Travelcade double-contour seat for a 1980 850G, chopped away a couple of inches of foam ( I am shorter than Jay) and love it.

It goes for about $200+. on the Saddlemen /Travelcade site, but on Ebay I got it for $75.

Good luck.
          Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

You can also buy a travelcade cover from JC Whitney for about 50 bucks and do it yourself

Comment

seat's

I plan on ordering the seat cover from JC Whitney. Look's like this would work .
              If not it will be a learning in progress. 8)

Pete
              1979 GS850

Comment

wasted seat

Thanks for all the input........... I have found a couple of upholsterers who do bike seats one even has marine grade vinyl. ( they do boats too) I think this is the way I'll go. Thanks

Comment

Working...
                X