GS850G Cuts out when cold

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS850G Cuts out when cold

Whenever it's below about 60 degrees, my '83 GS850G cuts out at higher RPM under load.

The bike starts, idles, and runs perfectly in the driveway, but once on the road, it won't pull above 2,000 - 3,000 rpm -- it cuts out like it's not getting any gas. It idles normally, and will rev at a stoplight, but won't pull. The choke works normally.

This behavior slowly goes away as the engine warms up. After about ten minutes, the bike runs perfectly. If it's warm outside, the problem doesn't happen. FWIW, I got caught in a downpour on the highway a couple of days ago, and the bike ran perfectly the whole time.

The spark plugs look fine, and the Dyna coils and plug wires also seem OK. I've done a quick check of the wiring connections under the tank. Everything looked fine, but I didn't have time to bring out the voltmeter.

Since it's related so closely to temperature, I'm thinking I might need to more closely investigate the whole ignition sytem wiring and grounding.

I'm also thinking that one or more of the CV sliders in the carbs might be sticky, or at least a little gummy when it's cold and intake vacuum is high. Probably a long shot, but worth checking. The bike has been running perfectly for a while, so it's gone about 15K miles without pulling the carbs off.

The charging system and battery check out fine, and there aren't any other electrical problems.

I checked valve clearances and carb sync about a month ago, and everything was spot-on.

Any other ideas?
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Sounds like a carb problem to me, is it running lean?

Comment

Check the choke connections at each carb. Each one has a screw lock to keep it in position against the choke rail.

If you have a screw loose.......Welcome to the Forum!

You may have a loose one, (or two) that allows the rail to move a bit without having the needed effect on the carb(s). That would cause the complaint you have, as the engine would be labouring along only on the cylinders that had the full gas feed, and the complaint would disappear when the engine warmed up, and you turned off the choke.
      Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Sounds like it's running lean, which would be more noticable when it's colder. First make sure your carb boots and manifold clamps are tight.
        If they are good, I would check/clean the pilot jets and the pilot circuits.
        And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
        Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

The behavior sounds like a typical well tuned standard bike that still meets emissions...congratulations! They were tuned on the lean side standard, which makes them very cold blooded. With age it may get worse, as suggested above. A little clean and perhaps retune might make it better from a rideability point of view.

Comment

Hmmmm...

The choke is working normally, and all the choke and throttle linkages are working fine.

The high today in Indiana was about 78F, so I rode to work (about 130 miles total), and the bike ran perfectly both ways. It was about 63 when I left the driveway.

According to the plugs, the bike is not running lean. Perfect tan/grey.

Looks like I'll need to verify the problem still exists in a few days when temps return to normal (about 50F). Assuming it's still there, it looks like the carbs need to come out for the old inspect/clean routine. I have a set of the carb O-rings that one guy was selling a few months ago, so I should be OK there.

The bike didn't always run great, so I definitely know how to get the carbs out and back in fast!

Thanks everyone! I'll let you know in a few days...
            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Working...
            X