Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Engine noise! Cam Tensioner, Tappets, Shims, Valves? Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine noise! Cam Tensioner, Tappets, Shims, Valves? Help!

Sometimes my 77gs550 engine sounds like there's a bag of nickles rolling around in there! Or marbles. Bike run strong and hard, just buzzy. Oil change didn't see any metal filings/shavings as I looked real hard for that. Nothing is loose that I can tell. Exhaust on there solid. What should I do first....

I intend on pulling my cam tensioner and cleaning/resetting it. Playing with the nob a little without the bike running seemed to quiet the engine down a very little bit. Flicked it a few times to see if it has tension still....it did. Still noisy though.

Do the valves need adjusting? Tappets, shims? Is this a huge job? Do I need a new Cam chain? I do not have any experience with these but after reading my Clymer and many posts here, seems like one of these things could be the problem.....

I have audio of my engine running at home. Gonna mp3 it up tonight and post for your ears. In need of wisdom here gentlemen. I want to quiet the bike down a little. Thanks

Domino,

Having heard your bike I'd guess cam chain more than valves. Plus, the cam chain tension is easier to adjust than the valves. Check the factory manual you got for the $99 1000 and see if the tensioner looks like the one on the 550. I've looked at the 550's tensioner and it looks a lot like the one on my 1100. The factory manual will have the adjustment procedure if they're alike or there is at least one thread on the GSR that explains it.

Joe
    IBA# 24077
    '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
    '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
    '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

That's the plan, pull the tank and get the cam chain tensioner off. Clean, reset and lubricate it. The 1000 manual has the procedure as well as a PDF Mr.first timer sent me a while back. Hopefully that'll quiet it down a bit. Its hard to hear over the Mac pipes at RPMs, mostly its audible at idle.

Comment

Dom,

If you are interested it looks like there is going to be a GS550 valve adjustment/cam timing hoedown at my house next weekend, Nov. 14-16. Adam is definitely in, I think Ryan is in, and you're certainly welcome. Order up a silicone valve cover gasket from http://www.realgaskets.com/files/motorcycle.htm and let's figure out how to get all the bikes here and cooled down for at least overnight so we can do the valves. We're hoping that between all three bikes we'll have the correct shims to get everyone's adjusted.

Joe
        IBA# 24077
        '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

so what s the deal are we doin this shim thing the week of the 15th? i was kinda hopeing to do it towards the end of the month if i could, but if it doen't work let me know and i will try to figure sumtin out.

ryan
          78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
          82 Kat 1000 Project
          05 CRF450x
          10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

Anytime is fine with me. Adam suggested the weekend of the 15th. As far as I know I am available any weekend this month.

Joe
            IBA# 24077
            '08 Yamaha WR250R

Comment

Thanks Joe, sounds like a plan. How in the hell are we gonna get the bikes out there and cooled off? Anybody got a Uhaul?

Comment

Dom,

We could make arrangements so you and Ryan could ride out say Friday night and I could take you back home or you could have the little lady follow you out. I'm sure Cathy would like to meet another female in the group. Adam has a line on a trailer so maybe he can help you out.

Joe
                IBA# 24077
                '08 Yamaha WR250R

Comment

hey guys, i am working on the trailer...i should have no problem getting it...just need to find some guys to help me load the bike on it. its a tiltbed made for snowmobiles i think...but i should be able to get my tie downs on it.

Joe...do you think we'll be able to do all this on saturday (if we start early?) or would it best to get a start on it friday the 14th?

my weekend is wide open...

i got my Real Gaskets gasket today...looks sweet!

~Adam

Comment

Adam,

As always, these things will take at least twice as long s you expect them to. I would suggest starting Friday night. Keep in mind that we'll probably have to track down shims and other misc. parts. My weekend is free too.

Ryan, Domino, what are your plans?

Joe
                    IBA# 24077
                    '08 Yamaha WR250R

Comment

Joe, i will plan on leaving DeKalb hopefully by 5PM then that friday...so we can get a start on the bike that night. hopefully the girlfriend works late friday...else i might hear stuff.

i'll see if i can get her to come along for a bit of one day...she works the weekends, so i dunno if she'll want to go or not.

valve shim tool has been ordered...i should have it by next week. i guess i'm gonna order my tires here tonight. 8O

~Adam

Comment

tires ordered!

2 tires, 2 tubes, $212 8O

Comment

Adam,

What tires did you order? Sounds like a good price. By all means invite the little lady out. I'm sure Cathy would like to meet her.

Joe
                          IBA# 24077
                          '08 Yamaha WR250R

Comment

Joe i got the same tires as Domino, except H rated up front because i like to cruise around at 130MPH intead of 150.

~Adam

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Nardy
                              Dom,

If you are interested it looks like there is going to be a GS550 valve adjustment/cam timing hoedown at my house next weekend, Nov. 14-16. Adam is definitely in, I think Ryan is in, and you're certainly welcome. Order up a silicone valve cover gasket from http://www.realgaskets.com/files/motorcycle.htm and let's figure out how to get all the bikes here and cooled down for at least overnight so we can do the valves. We're hoping that between all three bikes we'll have the correct shims to get everyone's adjusted.

Joe
                              Do I need to buy some shims Joe? Recommendations?

Comment

Working...
                              X