Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Engine noise! Cam Tensioner, Tappets, Shims, Valves? Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

do you check your email ever Steve? Joe sent directions a few days ago...

Comment

Engine noises and valve clearance adj.

Hi man,I haven't listened to your mill so can't say.Have you compared your n-gine with another sound wise?Cam chain noise can sound like an uneven rattle from the middle of the engine.sometimes droping off on the over-run,there at all speeds but more noticeable at tick-over and lo revs due to exhaust noise,excessive valve clearance is usually heard as a light tapping sound from the top of the engine slower than crankshaft speed and can diminish as engine heats up.
      Don't waste bread on a valve shim tool,I found it easier to use a large flat blade screwdriver on the edge of the bucket to relieve the spring tension enabaling the shim to be changed,remember to replace the shim with size markings face down.If your short of the size shim you want try any motorcycle workshop ,I would'nt pay much more than $5 a piece though.
      On tyres S and T ratings are good up to 115m.p.h. approx.,you only pay more for the extra you wont need.I believe in the U.S. most people don't ride much over 70.

Comment

Originally posted by AOD
        do you check your email ever Steve? Joe sent directions a few days ago...
        I check it often Adam, and after re-checking it several times I can't seem to come up with one that included directions and an address... I even checked for recently deleted email and it wasn't there either. I'd sure appreciate if you forward it to me -- it'd be a real bitch to drive around Lombard Saturday looking for the noisy garage!!

Thanks,
        Steve 8)

Comment

I'll resend the e-mail...................
          IBA# 24077
          '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
          '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
          '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

Well gentlemen, I just found out that I am officially out of the picture for this weekend......DOH! Unfortunatly duty calls and I must work........ :-({|= ](*,)

It sucks but its a done deal. I really was looking foreward to getting my bike sorted out. I got my silicon gasket and everything.....it'll get done eventually. Winter is long. Thanks again Joe for the offer, I'm gonna make it out there one of these days....Good luck guys,

Comment

aww.

my 550 will miss yours...

Comment

Guys,

Adam and I had a good garage session. We figured out the shim over bucket valve adjustment and discussed many other GS issues, listened to the Mighty Blackhawks lose in overtime, and drank (more than) a few Labatt Blues (Thanks, Adam). It sounds like Steve (Planecrazy), Ryan (First Timer), Denis (Mastiff) and Andy (Andys116) are going to come by tomorrow. I'm looking forward to seeing/meeting all of you. Adam's valve cover is off so we can see and poke around with the cam/valve area and see how it all works. I'm trying to get Adam to pull his cam chain tensioner so we can see that too. Ryan wants to put a relay or two on his bike so there will be some dreaded electrical work going on too. I think I've e-mailed all of you asking you to check this thread before heading out. Adam is going to call local Suzuki dealers first thing tomorrow to see if they have the shims he needs. If not we might ask you to check any dealers in your area. If you need directions or anything else, call me at (630) 268-9985.

C-YA,
                Joe
                IBA# 24077
                '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

i'm gonna try two Suzuki dealers in the morning looking for shims. we found that we need 6 shims total:

5 - 2.75mm shims
                  1 - 2.85mm shim

hopefully i can find these at the dealers here...i may need your help if i can't though.

looking forward to meeting some of you tomorrow and hanging out. i got Labatt Blue cravings still.

~Adam

Comment

...will check the thread again in the morning. See you guys tomorrow (or technically, later today)...

Steve 8)

Comment

...sweet, all this R and D will serve the 550's well........

Comment

i have to wait until 10 to call the dealers...but i'm up and inhaling some coffee already. lets hope the places nearbye have what we need.

i'll report back.

Comment

damn i love a good hot cup of coffee in the morning... almost as much as a cold beer in the morning. O

Comment

GUYS...it looks like the places around here might not carry the shims in stock that i need.

can you guys call your dealers closest to your house before you leave today?

shims needed:

(5) - 2.75mm - Part NUmber 12892-45012

(1) - 2.85mm - Part Number 12892-45014

call me at 815-690-1010 if the dealer has them...i can use my CC over the phone to pay for them if you can pick them up!

thanks guys,

~Adam

Comment

DISREGARD ABOVE.

i think we found the shims!

Comment

Guys,

Disregard previous message! We found shims and are heading out to get them. We won't be back at my house until around noon.

Thx,
                                Joe
                                IBA# 24077
                                '08 Yamaha WR250R

Comment

Working...
                                X