Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Engine noise! Cam Tensioner, Tappets, Shims, Valves? Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AOD
    GUYS...it looks like the places around here might not carry the shims in stock that i need.

can you guys call your dealers closest to your house before you leave today?

shims needed:

(5) - 2.75mm - Part NUmber 12892-45012

(1) - 2.85mm - Part Number 12892-45014

call me at 815-690-1010 if the dealer has them...i can use my CC over the phone to pay for them if you can pick them up!

thanks guys,

~Adam
    Tried Schaumburg Suzuki and Banzai Motorsports in Libertyville ... both were out of stock on each part... Don't think there are any other Suzuki dealerships in my area but I'll check again.

Steve 8)

Comment

Here is a list of Chicago and Northern Illinois dealerships that I found on www.suzuki-bikes.com. See if any are near you. I already tried Schaumburg Suzuki and Banzai Motorsports in Libertyville. Good Luck!

Chicago Suzuki Dealers
      Sportland
      2045 Ireland Grove Rd
      Bloomington, IL 61704-7103
      309/662-0508

Champion Cycle Center
      3625 N. Western Avenue
      Chicago, IL 60618-4714
      773/528-6500

Two-Wheeler Suzuki
      10520 Old US Hwy 50
      Breese, IL 62230-4210
      618/526-4940

Owen Motor Sports, Inc.
      11660 Old State Road
      Charleston, IL 61920-7933
      217/348-5500

Chicago Cycle Center
      7320 N Western Ave
      Chicago, IL 60645-1895
      773/338-7320

World of Powersports, Inc.
      2635 N 22nd Street
      Decatur, IL 62526-4745
      217/423-6521

Suzuki of Northern Illinois
      4901 North 2nd Street
      Loves Park, IL 61111-580
      815/633-3733

Naperville Triumph-Suzuki
      24125 W. 111th Street Suite# 300
      Naperville, IL 60564-8103
      630/904-8600

Leipold Motor Sales, Inc.
      1720 E Norris Dr
      Ottawa, IL 61350-1616
      815/433-0713

Schaumburg Suzuki
      855 W Golf Road
      Schaumburg, IL 60194-1327
      847/884-6677

Brenny's Cycle Works, Inc.
      1801 37th Avenue E.M.
      Silvis, IL 61282-1822
      309/796-1664

Watseka Suzuki Honda
      196 N Jefferson Street
      Watseka, IL 60970-1127
      815/432-4352

Overturf Powersports
      1633 N Dirksen Parkway
      Springfield, IL 62702-4542
      217/544-0126

Comment

I also understand that some Kawasaki shims are almost identical to the Suzi's, and will work fine. you may have to bring one in to size it up, or find a M'cycle mechanic that will swap some with you. :twisted:

Comment

I found some on Ebay....... :roll:

Comment

FREE shims!

AOD was calling around for Valve shims today and having no luck finding any dealers with any in stock. A dealer about a mile from my house said they had 'a bunch in back' if we wanted to look through them. He took us back to the service area where they had a couple parts bins with neatly organized shims from various bikes. They probably keep all the shims they pull out of customers' bikes while charging them for new ones. Anyway, they let us exchange Adam's for different sizes FREE OF CHARGE! He even went back twice to get different sizes. I'd guess most dealers have stock like this so be sure to ask. Worst case, send yours to me and I'll exchange them and send them back to you.

Joe
            IBA# 24077
            '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
            '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
            '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

Kawi shims do not fit Suzuki bikes...they are only 29mm across, whereas Suzuki shims are 29.5mm across.

too bad RealGaskets didn't work out...or we'd be done

~Adam

Comment

Re: FREE shims!

Originally posted by Joe Nardy
                AOD was calling around for Valve shims today and having no luck finding any dealers with any in stock. A dealer about a mile from my house said they had 'a bunch in back' if we wanted to look through them. He took us back to the service area where they had a couple parts bins with neatly organized shims from various bikes. They probably keep all the shims they pull out of customers' bikes while charging them for new ones. Anyway, they let us exchange Adam's for different sizes FREE OF CHARGE! He even went back twice to get different sizes. I'd guess most dealers have stock like this so be sure to ask. Worst case, send yours to me and I'll exchange them and send them back to you.

Joe
                Awesome. Are used ones not as good as new/is there major wear on shims? I was looking at schematics Ryan pointed out to me and I have the wrong silicon gasket as well. Guy said he had mine specifically, I asked. Oh well, I don't really need the silicon one unless I'm doing lots of adjustments. Going to try and return it or its Ebay time. Unopened/sealed.

Comment

If you have the same valve cover as Adam and can wait a bit, you should be OK. I think the RG guy is going to make up new gaskets to fit. Apparently, he thought these gaskets would fit, thats why he told you they would. In any case I'm sure he will refund your $$ if you return it to him. Why don't you give him a call and ask? Adam has the number. He seems like a good guy to work with.
                  About the shims, there doesn't appear to be any signifgant wear on the replacements we used. I'd say they would work as well as new.
                  77GS550 wrote:
                  Awesome. Are used ones not as good as new/is there major wear on shims? I was looking at schematics Ryan pointed out to me and I have the wrong silicon gasket as well. Guy said he had mine specifically, I asked.

Comment

Dom, yes you'll need to return your gasket to Harold. i just sent mine out this morning, along with the valve cover...so we should have a new gasket made up soon...

what you DO need to get is 8 shims, from a Suzuki motorcycle...any 8, cheapest you can find. you'll get them back after you adjust your valves, but to avoid the problem i had (chipping your camshaft) you need 8 shims to substitute those you will swap in.

1.) measure valve clearance
                    2.) pull shim from each valve - ONE AT A TIME - write down size - PUT SHIM BACK IN
                    3.) calculate estimated shim size needed
                    4.) take DONOR shims to Suzuki dealer, swap for shims needed
                    5.) swap in new shims ONE AT A TIME
                    6.) keep swapped out shims on hand for next valve adjustment.

~Adam

Comment

Working...
                    X