Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

80 GS1000E joins the family. Will not fire!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

80 GS1000E joins the family. Will not fire!

I just took possesion of a 1980 GS1000E which needs a little TLC but overall is a solid bike with 16,000 miles. It will not fire. I have replaced the dead battery, and put in fresh plugs. Old ones actually looked pretty good. Not sure if they were the correct ones for the bike. I put in NGK B8ES plugs. Checked against the block, it has spark on all 4. Turns over. All lights and signals work. Not even a sputter. Has oil and fresh fuel.

Pulled the tank and the choke cable which was frozen. Lubed and fixed the choke cable issue. Pulled the petcock which was missing the lever which you use to switch from PRI/ON/RES. Can't tell where it sat. Turned it both ways with a screw driver while trying to fire it but to no avail. After pulling the petcock, I tried to spin the settings both ways whilst sucking on both of the rubber hoses trying to get some air to pass through. Only the short stubby hose would pass air if I slightly depresed the metal circle sitting in the petcock opposite side of the lever. Smaller hose would not pass any air. No fuel is what I'm thinking. I need to get a new petcock as this one is trashed. Am I on the right track? Fuel was drained prior to my adding it. Carbs couldn't get properly primed right? Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks #-o

Sounds like you are on the right track

Comment

Try some starting fluid to see if you get any cylinders firing...........
      IBA# 24077
      '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
      '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
      '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

The "80" 1100 E did not have a lever on the petcock, very poor design that was corrected in "81". If choke cable was froze up, it probably sat long enough the carbs will need to be completely cleaned. Try a small shot of starting fluid, if it hits on the fluid, you will know you have a fuel problem. Don't try to put an "81" petcock on your "80" tank, the location is different.

Comment

Thanks for the replies.

The bike I have is a 80 gs1000e, not an 1100 (I wish......) 8)

...!!!!!YOU'RE RIGHT ABOUT THIS PETCOCK!!! THE 80GS1000E PETCOCK DOESN'T HAVE A LEVER! WHAT THE F@#K!!! I HAD ASSUMED THAT ALL PETCOCKS HAD A LEVER SO ONE COULD SWITCH IT TO PRIME AND RES. MAN, EVEN MY 77GS550 HAS A PETCOCK LEVER!!!

NO WAY! WHAT A WRETCHED IDEA TO LEAVE OFF THE LEVER....WHY!? HOW DO I KNOW WHERE IT IS SITTING? ANYBODY HAVE AN 80GS1000E AND KNOW HOW TO ADJUST THE PETCOCK?

I can stick a slim tapered screw driver in there and turn it right? Is that what we're to do if we have the 80gs1000 petcock? Problem is I don't know how many turns its had or where center is......or if its been thoroughly thrashed to the point of no return.

Starting fluid? Don't I need fuel to get through the petcock first? Or do you mean just to see if the carbs will fire? I don't know how to put gas in the carbs without the tank and petcock functioning. Should I spray the fluid into the carbs/pull plugs and spray into the engine?

The petcock will not let air through either hose no matter which way I turn the screwdriver....and no matter how hard I suck or blow through the hoses.....also depressing the metal center does not work anymore as stated in the initial post. Doesn't that mean that I'm not getting any fuel delivery? I am on the lookout for a replacement petcock/new one but am sunk till I can get it. Anybody know where I can get one/wanna sell me one? I'm buying, must be clean. Suggestions?

Comment

Just spray a little starting fluid on your air filter. If the carbs work at all, this should at least allow the engine to fire for a second or two.

Starting fluid is ether, and it will quickly evaporate - this makes a high-octane mixture with the air being drawin in through your filter. Your carbs may be too gummed up to feed fuel to the cylinders, but the starting fluid will allow your bike to fire as long as air is being sucked through the carbs.

Starting on ether will let you know that it's not an ignition problem, but will not tell you what kind of problems you may have with your carbs or petcock. What it can do is help suck some gunk out of your carbs, petcock, or fuel line if you get a decent sustained run.

I'd count on a needing a new petcock and a carb cleaning for sure.

(Word of warning - don't over do the starting fluid. If the engine doesn't fire after hitting the air filter with a few short bursts of ether, walk away and let it evaporate, then try it again. Normal reaction is to keep firing a little ether on the filter until you get the bike to start - BUT THIS CAN CAUSE A BACK FIRE THROUGH THE AIRBOX - it's not like a simple tailpipe backfire - an airbox backfire with starting fluid can cause a fire. Go easy - I've had my bad experiences spraying carbs with ether while trying to kick start and old Yammie...)

-Q!

Comment

Thanks QuaiChangKane, going to try the starter fluid trick.

Again, anybody have this rediculous petcock with no lever and know how to test it and see if its working correctly? Am I missing something? Is there another one that I can swap in to get the lever action? I've turned over the screw in there so many times both ways that I may have really messed it up if it wasn't already screwed. Can't get any air to pass through it.

Worst case, gonna buy this one new:

Comment

Domino,

Check out this Pingel valve if you want NICE!
                Manufacturer and distributor of high performance motorcycle parts and accessories for street and drag. Find fuel valves (petcocks), wheel chocks, air shifters, all electric shifter kits, wheelie bars and more here. Products for Yamaha, Harley-Davidson, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Honda available.

Joe
                IBA# 24077
                '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

Domino,

You can rig a temporary fuel source to use while you work on the bike. Here is a link to a funnel that has caps on both ends. Add some hose and you're ready to go. Just be sure to plug the vacuum line from the carb.

This suggestion is from a post in tips and tricks. Other ideas were a lawn mower tank, weed whacker tank, carb cleaner bottle, etc.

Good luck,
                  Joe
                  IBA# 24077
                  '08 Yamaha WR250R

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Nardy
                    Domino,

Check out this Pingel valve if you want NICE!
                    Manufacturer and distributor of high performance motorcycle parts and accessories for street and drag. Find fuel valves (petcocks), wheel chocks, air shifters, all electric shifter kits, wheelie bars and more here. Products for Yamaha, Harley-Davidson, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Honda available.

Joe
                    Nice one Joe....was looking for these guys after I read your PM...., but I will need to contact them to see which one is compatible. Hopefully they have one for the 80gs1000e model as I can't seem to find anything on their site. The one in the pic does not look like it is the same mount as what I have now......I'll email them.

Joe
                    You can rig a temporary fuel source to use while you work on the bike. Here is a link to a funnel that has caps on both ends. Add some hose and you're ready to go. Just be sure to plug the vacuum line from the carb.

This suggestion is from a post in tips and tricks. Other ideas were a lawn mower tank, weed whacker tank, carb cleaner bottle, etc.

Good luck,
                    JoeJoe
                    ...again, you're the man. Gonna try to jury rig something tonight....plug vacuum line and start fuel flow when I try and fire or else it will flood....since the petcock would normally shut of fuel if engine not running when set to RES/ON....I still smell like gasoling from last night...hehehe

Comment

does your bike have the filter installed?
                      it won't run without the filter, it is getting to much air
                      so you need to some how reduce the amout of air the carbs can suck down.

if you want and you have cv type carbs i can help you rebuild those suckers in about 3 hours.... don;t get me started, lets just say i have had lots of practice.

ryan
                      78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
                      82 Kat 1000 Project
                      05 CRF450x
                      10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

Dom,

IF your floats and float valves are functioning properly you should not flood. The valve will shut off fuel flow when the float reaches a certain height. The vacuum petcock is just an additional safety measure. You could run your bike on prime forever if all was well in your float mechanism.

Joe
                        IBA# 24077
                        '08 Yamaha WR250R

Comment

Hey Pal,

Getting back to the petcock for a moment, the reason it doesn't have a lever is that it is completely vacuum controlled. My '80 GS550L is the same way (and I originally thought it was missing the lever). I don't know how much vacuum is necessary to make the fuel flow, but it's possible that the petcock is fine and that you simply can't suck on it hard enough to activate it.

Try hooking the vacuum hose back onto the motor and leaving the fuel line off (drain it into a jar). Turn the motor over and see if fuel flows ... if it does then you know the petcock is working properly. At least then you can rule out the petcock as the source of your problem.

Good Luck!
                          Steve 8)

Comment

If you're interested in a OEM replacement the P/N is

44300-47270 COCK ASSY, fuel
                            44348-47270 O Ring

That'll set you back about $75.00

Kurt

Comment

how does a 80 GS bike prime then for starts when the carb has been emptied of fuel? do you just have to sit there and crank and crank until it sucks fuel into the bowls? :?

Comment

Working...
                              X