Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

80 GS1000E joins the family. Will not fire!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AOD
    how does a 80 GS bike prime then for starts when the carb has been emptied of fuel? do you just have to sit there and crank and crank until it sucks fuel into the bowls? :?
    I had the tank off my bike recently to replace the coils. Although I doubt the carbs were emptied, there was definitely some air in the system after pulling the fuel line. Cranking her over produced the desired result very quickly. Don't know how easy it would have been if the carbs were dry, but I suspect it wouldn't have taken too much cranking.

Comment

Originally posted by Planecrazy
      ........the reason it doesn't have a lever is that it is completely vacuum controlled. My '80 GS550L is the same way (and I originally thought it was missing the lever). I don't know how much vacuum is necessary to make the fuel flow, but it's possible that the petcock is fine and that you simply can't suck on it hard enough to activate it.

Try hooking the vacuum hose back onto the motor and leaving the fuel line off (drain it into a jar). Turn the motor over and see if fuel flows ... if it does then you know the petcock is working properly. At least then you can rule out the petcock as the source of your problem.

Good Luck!
      Steve 8)
      Great idea/info. Thanks Steve

Originally posted by first timer
      does your bike have the filter installed?
      it won't run without the filter, it is getting to much air
      so you need to some how reduce the amout of air the carbs can suck down.

if you want and you have cv type carbs i can help you rebuild those suckers in about 3 hours.... don;t get me started, lets just say i have had lots of practice.

ryan
      Thanks again all for the parts info and suggestions. Ryan....No it does not have the rear air assembly but does have the big black box with the short hose and lip......unfortunatly. Got it listed in GSR parts wanted along with a few other items. I actually have a line on a few units, before the weekend I hope to have one on the way.

I did read on here about trying to put cloth across the intake to give some sort of resistance like the filter. But also read that it should fire but run badly....maybe.

Gonna go and attempt to rig the mini tank. Glad to hear that the petcock is not a totally bad design. Actually sounds interesting...I am ordering a new stock one from cycle recycle http://www.crc2onlinecatalog.com/petcock_suzuki.htm . Maybe if Pingle has a bolt on alternative...I just wish I had control over the stock petcock's settings.

Originally posted by Kurt.Worden
      If you're interested in a OEM replacement the P/N is

44300-47270 COCK ASSY, fuel
      44348-47270 O Ring

That'll set you back about $75.00

Kurt
      Excellent. Do I still need the O ring if I get the stock petcock or is that a replacement piece?

Comment

I would guess that the o-ring is used as a seal between the petcock body and the tank. I'd replace it rather than risk a fuel leak. Also, many o-rings can be gotten at your local hardware or auto parts store. Just bring yours with you and compare sizes.

Joe
        IBA# 24077
        '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
        '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
        '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

Here are some pics: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ic.php?t=15514

Last night I rigged a funnel for feeding gas. Plugged the vacume line as suggested. It drank a little bit so it must have been dry as hell. It was very cold and wet in the shed and I forgot to put my batteries on the charger. I fixed into place my makeshift t-shirt/filter and screwed down the fastener so it will have some air resistance. Set the choke and started to crank it. I watched the topping off of gas go down a little in the funnel and it actually fired for a second then quit. I was very happy even though it only fired for a sec......soo close...... But that's when the battery went dead and began clicking then nothing. The headlight and signals still worked though? Even though it would not crank. How can that be? Pulled the batery and its sitting on the charger now. Tonight I shall try again. Ordered a stock replacement petcock.

Comment

Originally posted by 77gs550
            Maybe if Pingle has a bolt on alternative...I just wish I had control over the stock petcock's settings.
            The Pingel is a bolt on alternative. You buy two parts, the valve itself, and the adapter plate that fits your particular bike.

I tend to think Pingel was orignally designed to replace Harley petcocks, as those use the bung style attachment. Someone at sometime came up with the idea to make adapter plates so Pingel Fuel Valves could be used in anything that could fit one.
            You just pick the style valve you want (smooth, hex, rounded corners, etc), and the corresponding adapter (usually be measuring the distance between the stock petcock mounting holes).
            If mine ever goes TU, a Pingel will probably replace it.

Comment

As far as I can remember all the Suzuki petcocks without a lever, and no res., have the slot for the screwdriver. if the slot is turned the right position, not sure what position that is, the fuel should flow freely with or without vacum. I recently baught a new O.E.M. petcock for my GS 1150, and a new "O" ring came with it.

Comment

Extra O-Ring

Come to think of it you're right. the petcock does come with an O-ring ... that's why I've got an extra one in my tool box.

Your battery could have enough Amperage to run your lights ... but the starter motor draws a significant amount of juice to get turned over. The click you hear should be the starter motor relay switching to engage the motor.

Kurt

Comment

....... ...... ](*,) ........bike fired for like 3 seconds right off and then nothing. I came home tonight and the little yellow funnel had drained fully into the bike. A little bit of fuel was in there, none on the floor. Tried to start it after putting in the fresh battery and it fired and sputtered for 3 seconds this time.....firing and cutting. Then its all down hill. After that nothing. Choke all the way out or fully in (I did lubricarte it).....added more fuel.....even drained out the fuel from the carbs with the screw under each carb and tried it. Tried starter fluid. I have spark on all 4 NGKB8ES plugs. Plugs are moist I guess...... but not soaked? Are they supposed to be dry...they have bright blue spark. Vacume line plugged, funnell feeding fuel. Is it flooded and if so how can I de-flood it? The screw under each carb right...?

Remember I am missing the air filter and have rigged a t-shirt across the hole while I try and locate the missing piece.

I will install the new petcock and fuel tank soon. Get the rear air box and element. Keep on trying different things......arrgh..... :-({|=

Comment

as it stands right now, there is no filters or anything on the back of the carbs?

that might have an effect on starting man...very well could be getting TOO much air.

i think you need to get that petcock replaced, and see how it goes from there.

~Adam

Comment

Originally posted by AOD
                      as it stands right now, there is no filters or anything on the back of the carbs?

that might have an effect on starting man...very well could be getting TOO much air.

i think you need to get that petcock replaced, and see how it goes from there.

~Adam
                      True. Currently no filter box or filter element. There is that big black box which connects to the carbs, then the tube, and I'm missing the rest. I have the cloth rigged over the hole and tried many different thicknesses. Rigged it so fuel can flow with that yellow funnel....

Gonna replace petcock and reattach tank but it is getting gas now.

Comment

The rear air box should not make a difference in vacum at cranking speed. I think I have one out in the shop, if you are interested. Still seems like you are going to need a good carb cleaning. Good luck

Comment

Your petcock is on when the slot is horizontal. The petcock is at prime when the slot is straight up and down. It has no reserve. On this petcock, you must crank the engine to INITIATE flow.
                          And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                          Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

ITS AAAAALLLLLIIIIIVVVVEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!

.....gave up after hours of failure last night. This morning I figured, "what the heck, give it another shot before work." I put the fully recharged battery back in the beast, gave it a spray of starting fluid, and it fired right up! Whooooohoooooooo!!! Ran it for about 20 minutes. The choke was all the way out and seemed to be wanting to kill it. Backed off the choke a little and it began to idle smoothly. Saw my little yellow fuel funnel start to get low, refilled it and smiled as it purred and idled. Its way quieter than my 77gs550. After it warmed up and I turned off the choke it idled just fine. Once in a while I heard a rattle but I seem to have read on here that sometimes our bikes cluch basket will rattle a bit? If its cold? It was not constant, and it did not happen over 1500 RPMs. Whatever, IT LIVES!!!!! won't go over 4500 RPMs but it is missing the rear air box/filter assembly.

Engine was dirty as hell and seemed to be smoldering at first from all the oil dirt and grime. I was a little nervous, but it seemed the scum was burning off. I'll have to give the engine a good cleaning. Not sure of the last time it has run, could have been years. I'm soooooo happy right now. The saga continues.............8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Originally posted by rphillips
                            The rear air box should not make a difference in vacum at cranking speed. I think I have one out in the shop, if you are interested. Still seems like you are going to need a good carb cleaning. Good luck
                            Excellent. If its for sale I'll buy it off of you as long as its for a 80gs1000E model as I noticed that there are like 3 or 4?? different air box setups for the gs1000 stock. I need the Complete Air Filter rear assembly (see link below, #8 part number 13701-49001) in which the air element sits with the lid and hardware.

If not, I'm about an asshair away from ordering it new from www.RonAyers.com. Please let me know what you think, thanks.

Originally posted by KEITH KRAUSE
                            Your petcock is on when the slot is horizontal. The petcock is at prime when the slot is straight up and down. It has no reserve. On this petcock, you must crank the engine to INITIATE flow.
                            Thanks for the info. I guess this design is supposed to be maintenance free....then they dropped it? Weird. I have a new one on order from www.crc2onlinecatalog.com When it comes new, I will note if the slot is horizontal or not.

Comment

77gs550. To be more complete, I meant to say, on this petcock
                              EVEN ON PRIME you must crank the engine to initiate flow.
                              On other petcocks, the fuel will flow just by putting the lever in the prime position. I don't know why your's needs the engine cranking first.
                              It seems like there's no reason to have prime if it still needs the engine vacuum to allow flow. That's exactly what the ON position requires.
                              And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                              Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

while you have the tank off, you should probably take the carbs off and make sure the jets aren't clogged. also check the fuel lines that connect the carbs...mine were clogged on the old set and i couldn't see it...taht's why it didn't rev over 6K before i think...

i made the mistake of not doing a carb cleaning when i got the bike originally...it came back to bite me. do it now, and enjoy smooth riding later.

~AOD

Comment

Working...
                                X