Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

80 GS1000E joins the family. Will not fire!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I found the air box, but the #'s are confusing. There are 3 different #'s. 45500, 49300, 49310. Can anyone confirm if it is from a "79" GS 1000 S or an "80" GS 1100 E

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips
      I found the air box, but the #'s are confusing. There are 3 different #'s. 45500, 49300, 49310. Can anyone confirm if it is from a "79" GS 1000 S or an "80" GS 1100 E
      Yes please!

Originally posted by KEITH KRAUSE
      77gs550. To be more complete, I meant to say, on this petcock
      EVEN ON PRIME you must crank the engine to initiate flow.
      On other petcocks, the fuel will flow just by putting the lever in the prime position. I don't know why your's needs the engine cranking first.
      It seems like there's no reason to have prime if it still needs the engine vacuum to allow flow. That's exactly what the ON position requires.
      I don't get why they changed it and went back to the orig design. Isn't 80 the only year and even more so this particular model? I was looking through the shop manual and the pics of other models had manual petcocks....... .. . ?

Ordered a new stock OEM one just because it is compatible. I don't like it though but since its new should function likewise.

I have 4 carb kits coming for it and will enslave all others whove done it in the general vicinity to look on. I've been running the bike for about 20 to 30 minute periods a few times a day and cleaned it up significantly. It does not smoulder any more because of the scum and dirt. It sounds awesom.

The battery I stole out of my 550 is dead..... . . . I Killed it with all the crankings and abuse on the 1000. Went out and got 2 new Energizer batteries, different for both bikes.

At idel when the bike is fully off of choke I sometimes hear a faint rattle and then it will fade in and out randomly. Not loud. I read on the GSR here that this could be loose clutch basket screws...or something? But that it was a common thing and not an issue for performance and reliability. Well, is any of that true? Clutch basket?

Comment

pet cock

The leverless pet cock has two positions prime and on. Prime is achieved by inserting a small screwdriver and turning til the slot is vertical. On is achieved by returning the slot to a horizontal position.

Comment

I have 4 carb kits coming for it and will enslave all others whove done it in the general vicinity to look on.
          And just who might these enslaved persons be?

I sometimes hear a faint rattle
          You might be hearing the 'clutch basket' rattle. I know my 1100E has that sound sometimes at idle, especially when cold. Andys116's '81 1100E had the same sound. Mine got much better after a good carb synch. Or it might just be from spending too much time in the shed with engines running!

Joe
          IBA# 24077
          '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
          '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
          '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Nardy
            I have 4 carb kits coming for it and will enslave all others whove done it in the general vicinity to look on.
            And just who might these enslaved persons be?Joe
            Same persons who are going to help me check shims, install new gaskets, synch carbs and time both my 550 and 1000s not to mention rebuild carbs. Those guys....hehehehehe

[quote="Joe Nardy"]
            I sometimes hear a faint rattle [/quot

You might be hearing the 'clutch basket' rattle. I know my 1100E has that sound sometimes at idle, especially when cold. Andys116's '81 1100E had the same sound. Mine got much better after a good carb synch. Or it might just be from spending too much time in the shed with engines running!

Joe
            I have seen many posts about the clutch basket rattle. Right now its minimal to not at all. What's the cure or is it even necessary? Why does it happen and is it easy to fix?

Comment

Clutch basket rattles just from wear and tear. The rivets loosen up, but they can be refitted and welded. Mine makes the same noise (78 Gs 1000) but louder than yours, its no emergency to fix it. 8) P.S. I have an air box with a drop in K&N Filter if your interested.

Comment

Thanks everybody so far for their help. GSR rules! Y'all are not off the hook yet . I just got an air filter box from Rick (aka rphillips, thank you so much, $$ on the way) which was awesome and fit right in there. Thanks to all and the multiple offers for airboxes....brings a tear to my eye... .....I oiled and put in my new filter (re-usable foam over a metal pourous cylinder) and installed the air box. I am amazed that the 80gs1000e gets all its air through that little hole off to the right of the box. Set right in there and hooked up the hose. Now the bike will rev but alas, my tachometer froze up a few days ago and I'll have to sort that out to see how high it'll go.

Got a new battery and charged it up. Let it sit for 3 days on the trickle/batterytender at 1.5 as per the instructions. When I took it off it was reading 13.0. Put it in the 1000 and fired it up. Took a reading while idling and it was at 11.1 to 11.3, not good. Revved the bike and no increase. Charging system is not functioning correctly. Arrrgh! Gonna clean all the wires/terminals and go through the Stator Papers now. After killing it, the battery creeped back up to 12.5 and now is solidly at that reading still. I run the bike for at least 20 to 30 minutes a day since I got it to fire orig. Battery comes back to 12.5 every time. Soon I'll know if I need a new Stator/Reg/Rectifier.....$$$.... Planned on doing that anyways. Bike is still a steal and it'll be fully sorted once I am done. Anybody experience similiar things with theirs?

I took it for a spin around the block as per advice from first timer after he came by to check out the beast. I put on new bars too (old ones were rusted and way too laid back. Drag bars, no seat, no tank, no tail...talk about riding a naked bike! I was all hunched down like speed racer. I got about 3 minutes of fuel out of the carbs. MAN!!!!! this thing is a beast! Runs smooth, idles nice, clutch and brakes are great. I idled around the 1st time. Second time around the block on the straight I gave it a little gas at about 20mph. The rear lit up and started sliding!.....DOH, almost dumped it...... #-o ......recovered and realized that this is not my 77gs550. The torque is rediculous on this thing....hehehehe 8O. Put it away after I ran out of gas 50 yards from the gate. That's all for now....

Comment

Installed new petcock, it drinks now. Reassembled the bike and recharged the battery and took it for a 30 minute errands run in the rain. Battery held up amazingly and the bike ran excellent. Brakes felt solid and the engine/trans felt smooth. Drag bars seemed squirrely on the 1000. Maby it was the rain.......Its got filthy oil now which needs to be changed. Once I go through the electrics and the charging issue is resolved, I'm going to address the right side exhaust which is bent and has a hole in it. :-({|=

Anybody have the right side stock exhaust in good condition or a full exhaust?

How about a cherry stock seat off an 80gs1000e with the grab bar?

Comment

Working...
                  X