88 gsxr fork rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

88 gsxr fork rebuild

hello im fixing up a set of 88 gsxr 1100 forks to go into my gs 1000. I just received them and am going to overhaul them. .The forks seem to be in good shape except for seals.,does not have any play in them . Does anybody have a manual that covers these? I have my gs1000 manual and a bike bandit picture of the 88 forks but I need to have torque specs or some manual refs . is this like most forks where you hold the dampner rod from the top and remove allen screw from bottom and pull? What do I use to hold the dampner rod? If I should just change the seals do I need to disasemble them all the way? This fork has electronic dampning and is supposed to hook up to the brake relay[I dont have one]. anybody have a wiring diagram? Thanks for the info ,this is a great site. IF anybody wants to send scanned stuff send to rlnelson@attg.net

Randy,
    The units at the bottom of the fork are electric anti-dive. It's about the only anti-dive that truly worked. They get hooked up to the front brake switch. As for info on the fork disassembly I don't have a manual for that model. But you are on the right track as to how it's done. I doubt you really need to hold the dampers with anything. Just try loosening the bolt on the bottm of the fork and see if you can get the bolt out. When I rebuilt my stock fork I didn't have the tool needed to hold the damper rods and just unbolted them without holding them.

Comment

I just invert the forkleg over a broom handle to hold the damper rod still.
      Dink

Comment

You are correct on the disassembly procedure. The 88 GSXR forks are just standard damping rod forks and they come apart like the rest. The best way to loosen the bolt at the bottom is to use an impact wrench. Some people will jam the top of the damper rod with a broom handle or a hold it with a special tool. Cutting the broom handle off at a slight angle makes it easier to get it wedged in tightly beside the damper rod.

As far as I know, you can just cut the wire to the anti-dive unit and it just stays off all of the time. Maybe check with your dealer first if you are concerned about it. I had an 86 GSXR750 LTD with that on the forks and it just cranked up compression damping when activated and made the ride harsh. I left it set at its lowest setting all the time.

As for the seals, I think you will have to strip the fork down, because it is hard enough to pull the old seals out with the slider off the stanchion tube. Getting a seal out with the slider still assembled would be impossible, I think.

Mark

Comment

Working...
        X