Lazy a*sed Honda driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lazy a*sed Honda driver

You won't believe My Lazy as*ed bro', he wants me to lace his rim (follow up to previous post changing rims), oh, did I forget cheap Bas##rd too! The shops won't do a rim for less than $100, oh but they will include the spokes \/ . The only good thing about this is I have all winter to do it and possibly get it right. Any tips and hints you might have will be appreciated and possibly save me frustration and assemble and tear apart again time.

Oh, and you know what I get out of it. Yup, a pat on the back from big bro'. And you know you can't say NO!, it's family #-o

Google is your best friend....

I don't envy you at all. Good luck. Maybe your brother will come to understand why the shop wants $100 to do it.

Comment

How many have you done?

How many rims have you done?

I have done a few for friends, and its a bit tricky. You have to true it side to side, and make sure its not out of round. I usually Eye ball how far the spoke nuts are on the spokes before I start making them tight with a wrench. get them all evenly screwed down finger tight first. Next go around the rim turning each one 1/4 turn untill they start getting tight. When ever I do this
      method the rim usually ends up true and round almost on its own.

Do you have any sort of jig?

Comment

I have never assembled a rim, only trued bike rims. I am going to fab up a jig to hold the hub and allow me to check the trueness of the rim. But I figure he is going to owe me big time.

Comment

Might be more involved than bike rims.

Might be that more is involved than bike rims. I got my expierience the same way. I don't know if motorcycle rims require any special tools, or torque settings. The few that I have done seemed fine with just getting the spokes tight.

Comment

To update: I did that wheel this weekend, had some time on my hands and my wifes family was over, no better way to avoid inlaws than to dissapear into the garage. It took me a couple of hours to get it laced, ](*,) had to figure out the pattern to make them lace easy, (digital picture of the pre-disasembled wheel) , took almost no time to true. =D> I figure if you are a pro, [-X it shouldn't take more than an hour, I don't see the huge charges from the shops for the work. :?

Comment

They probably set the price high because they don't want to do it. Then, if the customer has it done it's a bonus.

Steve

Comment

Working...
              X