Front Master Washer Removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Front Master Washer Removal

What is the best way to remove the securing washer that holds the piston assembly into the master cylinder? Is there a special tool (which I don't have) or is it just a matter of plucking at it? Thanks for any help in advance.

O ring on the master

its called O ring pliers. Cheap in any auto stores

Comment

If you have an awl (scribe) you should be able to get it out.

Steve

Comment

Thanks guys, I picked up the pliers on my home from work.

Comment

You need snap ring pliers. They need to be fairly narrow or they won't reach in far enough. I remember re- installing the piston/cup assembly was a bit tricky. You have to get it just right for the snap ring to fit into it's groove. It's been too long and I don't remember what tecnique I used but maybe you'll have no problem. Suzuki has a right angle snap ring tool that would make it much easier. Just be patient and don't get too forceful.
          And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
          Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

I found a nice snap ring plier set at Ace hardware, I was suprised they had it. I was there getting a new saw blade and figured I check. They had a set with 4 separate attachements of different angles and lengths, worked perfectly, and man was my master cylinder a mess. Rebuilt and seems to work fine, I'll know better by tomorrow. Thanks for the help guys.

Comment

doing a rebuild, got the snap ring out but cant pull out piston, whats the trick? the washer looks a little rusted too

Comment

got the washer out, the piece behind the washer wont come out...

Comment

It's been too long since I did mine. I think I pushed it out using a pencil end and inserted it where the banjo bolt goes. If you still need help, I'll check my shop manual in the morning for the info.
                  And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                  Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Guess it's not coming out short of damaging it. Maybe others will fit from the boneyard??

Comment

The piston should be salvageable.
                      If it doesn't come out with a hearty tug, soak it with a rust penetrant and try again.
                      There is probably a ring of rust around the area of the snap ring that is stopping the piston from coming out, carefully scrape that out and try again.

bill

Comment

I checked my manual for a technique to remove it. It just say's use a piece of wood so you don't scratch the bore. Maybe a heat gun/blow dryer? This helps on stuck carb screws. The aluminum will expand faster than the steel piston assembly. Maybe enough to allow you to knock it out.

Comment

Working...
                        X