Installing new exhaust system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installing new exhaust system

Well, my insurance has gone into hybernation and I am going to put the 1100 and 850 to sleep for the winter. But before I do it, i will be removing the old 4 into 1 system on my bike and will install the NOS 4 into 2 system I got earlier this year.

I have a question though. The outer two headers have attachment flanges that will bolt to the engine to hold them in place easy enough, two bolts per flange holds them in place. But the two inner headers (the H section) has two flanges on the ends of the pipes but they slip right off. Not trapped like the ones on the outer two...? Is there something missing? some sort of Clip or spacer or washer or something that will hold the headers in place? I confused!
    GY

Gerry by what you describe yes there are parts missing.
    The inner two pipes have split flages that are removable (why? it makes no sense to me) If you can imagine what the outer flanges wuld look like if they were seperate from the pipe then psplit into two half moon looking pieces you will know what you are looking for I generally put a small amount of "maniseal" on these to help hold them during installation
    Dink

Comment

Hey Dink, yes, this is what I was thinking. The center two I thought would be split, but the ones I have are one piece each. Very similar to the outer ones but they slip right off the inner two. Maybe they are the wrong ones. They came with the system when I bought it on ebay. I'll have to check with the Bike shop and see what they say! I am sure they will have to be replaced with something that actually holds the headers up against the cylinders!
      Thanks
      GY

Comment

I think you probably have the right flanges, but what Dink was talking about is four sets of two flanges. one set per pipe. There is a slot apprx. 1/2 " wide on the end of the pipe that goes up in the head, these sets of flanges go in these 1/2" slots, then the flanges you have go against them to push the pipes in the head. The ones you don't have are aggrivating to hold in place, Dink uses an adhesive to hold them, I use 1 wrap of masking tape. Once you see the parts you don't have, it's pretty simple.

Comment

Working...
        X