GAs in oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GAs in oil

I have a 1982 GS850GL, the carbs are rebuilt, and for somereason or another the airbox leaks oil but only every now and then. I know I should maybe replace the Petcock, but my question to the forum is this:

"How do I stop gas from getting in the oil, nd more importantly is how is it getting in there?"

If I could seal the hole of entry at least that would keep me from having to change the oil every 200 miles or so.

Here's the complete rundown:
    Gas leaks out from around the air filter box seals, the carbs have been rebuilt, the engine has been rebuilt, and I have a complete air box on it now. I know there is a piece in the Petcock that is bent wrong that won't allow me to use Prime position, and the Vacuum tube off the petcock is dry so it's probably not the diaphram. The gas only leaks every now and then. Sometimes I'll park it for a week and not a drop or even the hint of smell of gas, and other times, I have to change the oil and put a bucket under it to catch all the gas that is leaking. Doesn't make sense! Something I was thinking but not sure if it is a factor is the seal on the fuel tank lid, if that doesn't seal properly will that hel a gas leak along or does it even matter?
    Any help would be great!
    Thanks!

Sounds like petcock is leaking. replace it and it should stop completely. :twisted:

Comment

For gas to be leaking into the crankcase oil, there is only one possibility.
      The petcock needs to be replaced.

Earl
      Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Yep, buy a kit for the petcock. Or, replace it with a Pingel if it's in the budget. I bought a kit.

Comment

If the petcock assy is bent up or damaged, don't waste the time on a kit, go with a complete replacement or with a pingle. :twisted:

Comment

Working...
          X