Left control assembly for 80GS1000E question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Left control assembly for 80GS1000E question

I need to find a replacement left control lights/signals switch assembly for my 80GS1000E. It has the self canceling signals. Does anybody know if the following will work as an adequate replacement?

This came off a 82GS850L model according to the seller, can't see the connectors in this pic.....

Can't tell you if the one in the pic will work ... only that my '80 1000G also needs this control assembly -- the turn signal lever is gone. Maybe we can put our two broken units together and make at least one working piece?

Let me know what's wrong with yours and we'll see what we can create...

Steve 8)

Comment

It looks identical to the one on my 80 GS850 so it should work

Comment

Originally posted by Planecrazy
        Can't tell you if the one in the pic will work ... only that my '80 1000G also needs this control assembly -- the turn signal lever is gone. Maybe we can put our two broken units together and make at least one working piece?

Let me know what's wrong with yours and we'll see what we can create...

Steve 8)
        :P ...good idea. I don't see a turn the headlights off switch on this unit. Did Suzuki/law do away with that?

Comment

that is the one, you can see one loose wire so the plug (wich is not shown) is probably toast.
          you can wire around it
          some models used a switch cluster that looked just like the self cancel type but is not a self cancel unit, it has the contacts but is missing a couple wires, it can be rewired to work perfectly with the self cancel.
          that is what I did with mine, the self cancel switch can be very hard to find.

Comment

The "78" 1000 's have a functional on/off switch for the headlight, the "79" 1000's have a non-functional on/off headlight switch, and the "80" models have no on/off headlight switch at all.

Comment

Thank you gentlemen for the help, but I dropped the ball and failed to win the auction. Doh!.... :-({|= But alas....I see another one which looks a little cleaner. Please look and tell me if I got a winner here. I like #2 better, looks cleaner.........

or.....

Comment

the second one looks good and you can get a longer choke cable and run it from the left handle bar, make it easyer to change on the run.

Comment

I replaced both controls on my bike with newer (early 90's) Katana units.

The plug shape is identical, and the pinout is the same, with the exception that the ground wire on the Kat unit is in the plug, not external like mine was. No problem there - I just snipped the Kat ground wire, and crimped a new connection on it.

The throw on the Kat choke lever is only half as far as mine was, but this wasn't an issue - I never use more than half choke, as more than that would make the idle skyrocket. I did have to snip the slug off of the end of the Kat choke cable to feed it through the sleeve on the carb assembly, but crimped and soldered a new slug on the end. As for the throttle cable, the length was long enough, but I had to trim some of the sleeve off.

Total labor was about 2 hours, total cost was nearly free after re-selling the parts that came with the controls (complete upper triple, clip-ons, master cylinder, front calipers, ignition, etc.).

I know I've posted about this before, but I wanted to pass this on again since most of us don't keep these bikes as show pieces, so using original parts isn't an issue. I have more confidence in my controls now, knowing they're half as old as the original units, and I can get replacement parts for all of them.

True, the blinker control isn't self-cancelling, but neither was my stocker. It is push-button cancelling, though - which is an improvement over the factory unit.

Katana parts are typically pretty cheap, especially for the 600's - they'll look better and work better than any 20 year old used parts. GS500 units may work, too - as well as Bandit parts....

-Q!

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips
                    The "78" 1000 's have a functional on/off switch for the headlight, the "79" 1000's have a non-functional on/off headlight switch, and the "80" models have no on/off headlight switch at all.
                    Interestingly enough, my '80 gs550L has a version which fits your description of the '79 1000 assembly. The guy who owned the bike before me modified the switch so that it IS functional (very handy if the charging system or battery starts to go while riding!)

My "new" '80 GS1000G has the unit you describe for that year -- not the self cancelling style unit that 77GS550 shows in his pic.

The idea of using a newer unit is intriguing ... hmmm, will have to consider that when the time comes to break down and do it.

Peace 8)

Comment

Don't know how much you guys are looking to spend on a turn signal switch or if you are willing to go with a universal one or not but I found this one on ebay when I though that was my problem. Just thought I would let you know.

Hope it helps.

Comment

Working...
                      X