• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS850G Tire Sizes

I am the proud new owner of a 1982 GS850G

I have figured out what size tire for the front 100/90-19
    I am not sure what is the best size for the rear it has a 5.4-17

I am wondering what size and type tire other people recommend for this bike.

Any help would be appreciated.

Re: GS850G Tire Sizes

The 5.4-17 converted to metric would be 130/90-17.
    A 130/90 is the same rear tire size as on my 1150E, so that should be
    plenty of tire for an 850.

Earl

Originally posted by tcsanadi
    I am the proud new owner of a 1982 GS850G

I have figured out what size tire for the front 100/90-19
    I am not sure what is the best size for the rear it has a 5.4-17

I am wondering what size and type tire other people recommend for this bike.

Any help would be appreciated.
    Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

What brand and model tire do you run on the 1150

Comment

I use the Avon VenomX both front and rear on my GS850; they're great. But Metzelers and Dunlops are also very good.

You'll find some more opinions here: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...pic.php?t=7243

Comment

A 110/90-19 front tire works just fine. A Dunlop designation is MM90-19. A 100/90-19 thinner tire works fine too, but I recommend the 110 for the 1982. It's a size larger, and ideal for the 82's tubeless wheel, which is slightly wider than the wheel on earlier 850's.

For the rear, a 130/90-17 is the ticket. The Dunlop alpha-numeric designation is MT90-17.

Nick

Comment

Pirelli also makes a nice tire for the 850. I put a Sport Demon 130/90/R17 on mine and it sticks much better than my old cheapo IRC Durotour.

Comment

I've got a new Pirelli MT08 130/90-17 on the rear, and an Avon 100/90-19 on the front which has low wear but old and weathered - time for replacement. The idea of a front blowout doesn't appeal.

Comment

I run the same tires on both the 750 and 1150. Metzler 33 front and 55 rear.

Earl

Originally posted by tcsanadi
                What brand and model tire do you run on the 1150
                Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Diaz
                  A 110/90-19 front tire works just fine. A Dunlop designation is MM90-19. A 100/90-19 thinner tire works fine too, but I recommend the 110 for the 1982. It's a size larger, and ideal for the 82's tubeless wheel, which is slightly wider than the wheel on earlier 850's.
                  The 100/90 looks a tight fit under the guard. A 110/90 must just have enough clearance (widthwise) ?

Saturday is new front tyre day.

Comment

If the 1982 GS850G in question has a stock fender, then a 110 should clear just fine. If the fender is not stock, say off a GS750, (which will fit the forks), then the 110 won't fit.

I know so. I had two 1982 GS850G's, both of them standards, for 11 riding seasons.

Nick

Comment

Got a Metzler ME33 3.50 fitted this morning to replace the perished Avon on the front. The improvement in handling is dramatic, even in the 20kms travelled since. Didn't realise how crappy the Avon had got.

Comment

Working...
                      X