Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brand new Yoshi on Ebay??!!!!!

&%*$!!!!

What a sweet pipe. If this would have been for sale a few months ago, I'd have jumped on it. Sorry if you're sniping on this one - I had to share it.

But since I just recieved a NOS '83 750 Kat pipe from Terry (Thanks, mate!), momma says I have to pass on this one. 7 weeks for sea mail from Oz- not nearly as bad as the 12 weeks I was expecting!!

Still - A nice, new Yosh.....

-Q!

if it's new can we buy it on thier site?

Comment

It's a shame it says not for road use on it. If you got razzed by the cops you'd have to spin the muffler around to hide the badge.

Steve

Comment

I haven't seen any listing for GS bikes on the Yosh site (at least for 750's). I'd just like to get ahold of that part number....

Comment

wonder if that would fit my 650? anyone know?

Comment

What throws me is that I believe that the 8V 750's had smaller (or larger?) exhaust ports, and the 16V 750's were 41mm.

750E's had 16V motors beginning in 1980. The 750S (Katana) got the 16V TSCC engine in 1985, but the 750G model and the 650's (even the Kats), never got the 16V TSCC motor.

If this pipe is for a 70's 750, then it won't fit the TSCC motor. If it's for an eighties 750, my understanding is that the shape and mounting points for the '80-'82 E model is different from the '83+ models (figure the 700E's as being the same as the '83+ 750E), due to the coversion from dual to mono-shock, and drastic restyling).

But this doesn't take into account the fact that the '83 750S (8V) pipe I just bought for my '83 750E (16V) has the same size exhaust ports (41mm). True to form, the muffler mounting on the S pipe doesn't match up with my E bike, since the Kat had dual shocks.

Confusing? I don't know if that's a Katana-specific increase in exhaust port diameter, or if I'm simply misinformed.

If the exhaust ports are 41mm for both this pipe and your bike, then the pipes could be re-bent to fit your bike. If not, then there's no way it would work.

If anyone knows the exhaust port size for '80-'82 8V and 16V 750E's, and pre-1980 8V 750E's, I'd greatly appreciate the info....

To bring this to a point - describing this as a "late seventies through 1985" pipe is a mistake. Even Vance and Hines lists the pipes as being different part numbers. The '80-'82 750E/L pipe is a 12001, where the '83 750 Kat pipe is a 12001K (probably a simple muffler mount change). The drag pipe is the same for both, since it's not muffler-mount dependant. However, the '77-'79 750 part is a 12009, which is a totally different pipe. No listing for the 650.

I'd assume this means that all GS750's (E/L/S) had 41mm exhaust ports from 1980 onwards (whether 8V or 16V motors), but the pre-1980 (all 8V) 750's had smaller ports.

I'd also assume that your 650 has smaller ports, but am not really sure. What's the year?

I think I just had an aneurism...

-Q!

Comment

And now I'm confused, again. According to this :

the 750 Kat had 16 valves from 1981 onward. But they go on to claim that part of the drastic redesign for the 1985 included the new 16V motor from the GS(X)750E.

I give up. It's beer-thirty.

-Q!

Comment

Originally posted by QuaiChangKane
                And now I'm confused, again. According to this :

the 750 Kat had 16 valves from 1981 onward. But they go on to claim that part of the drastic redesign for the 1985 included the new 16V motor from the GS(X)750E.

I give up. It's beer-thirty.

-Q!
                There was the 8 valve 750 from 1976 through 1979. In 1980, they introduced the first 16 valve 750 motor. They used that motor through 1982. Then they came out with a redesigned 750 16 valve motor in 1983(also the 700 motor in 1984 was the same motor with a different bore) . In 1985 they introduced the GSXR750 with the air/oil cooled motor which is entirely different from the earlier GS motors.

Comment

Got it. This site also specifies a 16V motor for the Kats from '81 up, so I do stand corrected.

This would also explain why the Kat pipe doesn't fit my bike - both 16V plants, but entirely different engines....

Any word on the 8V vs 16V exhaust port sizes?

-Q!

Comment

steve wrote
                    It's a shame it says not for road use on it. If you got razzed by the cops you'd have to spin the muffler around to hide the badge.
                    The first 4-1 pipe I put on my bike was a Yosh like that but had a chrome canister. It said "for race only" or "not for road use" but it really wasn't that loud. I think the v&h supersport I have on now is louder.
                    1982 GS1000S Katana
                    1982 GS1100E

Comment

I tried emailing him twice on the part # and no answer yet. i'd like to know if it will fit a 82 gs11e

Comment

The '83 up 700/750 models have smaller ports than the earlier models. The GSXR oil cooled models share that port size. If that pipe fits the earlier models it should fit the liter class bikes.

Comment

anyone know if it'd fit a 550 block? just curious.

~Adam

Comment

Working...
                          X