Hard starting GS450l

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hard starting GS450l

I've recently bought (for $500.00) a 1981 GS450L with 3080 miles on the odometer.
    The bike was ridden about 15 miles to my garage, so it seemed to be mechanically okay. Admittedly, the seller told me it's a hard starter in the cold, and it seems to be living up to half that belief because it only starts when it wants, cold weather or not. :x

The bike itself has been in and out of storage for most of it's life. The previous owner mentioned that he had the tank and carbs cleaned. I'm getting spark to the plugs (checked by grounding the plugs outside of the cylinder) Fuel seems to be getting into the cylinder, and the air filter seems clean, so it should be getting the three things it needs to start. Once I do get it started, (75% of the time) it runs okay, but also has a creep in the rpm which tops out at about 3000.

I've read most of the information on rectifiers/regulators, stators, and ignitors, but since I'm pretty ignorant concerning DC current and performing multimeter tests in general, I was hoping that, at a minimum, I could be pointed in the right direction. I have already resigned myself to buying a new ignitor/coil/rectifier/regulator, and considering I got this bike cheap, I have no problem throwing some money/parts at it, assuming this is why the bike doesn't like to fire up.

Thanks for your time and input,

CatntheHat

It has and intake leak.

the creaping rpm idle means it has an intake leak at the manifold boots. I think the smaller bikes like yours use the same O-ring as mine. Take the manifolds off, and chip out the old hard O-rings. Get some new ones and put them in with some good ol grease. As for the hard starting, you can check the carbs to be sure they are clean while you have them off. They may need further cleaning, or just need to be balanced. As with any of us who first take our intake system appart...... Put it all back together before trying it out. It will run even worse if you leave the air box off.

Comment

Chrisdnoel

You were right on the money. Did a spot check around the boots attached to the carbs and found the right side hose clamp was really loose, tightened that up, now all I've got to do is get it to run to see if it fixed the idle problem. BTW, found a small fuel filter coming off the petcock into the carb body, does anyone know what filter this thing is supposed to use? Oh, and I found a screw sticking out from the carb underneath and behind the petcock, anyone guess what this does when I turn it?

Catnthehat

Comment

I have right at $500 in my 450L including tag ,insurance and helmet. I have been very happy with it for around town but it could use more at hiway speeds. It stars getting a little fussy around 80 or so. Oh yeah, it needs A BIGGER TANK

Anyway you will enjoy it and the power comes on strong at about 6,000 rpms

Comment

Working...
        X