How to make exhaust quieter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to make exhaust quieter?

My 400 has gotten so loud while engine breaking I'm concerned that people are gonna start throwing garbage at me out of their cars. Is there anything I can do to quiet her down? It's mainly a popping noise (good plug colour) but sometimes she can really get on a roll and it sounds like explosives. :roll: I have bought new manifold gaskets but haven't put them in yet.

Any ideas?
    Cheers, Steve

Could it be something as simple as the fiberglass in the mufflers needs to be renewed??

Comment

Re: How to make exhaust quiter?

Originally posted by srivett
      My 400 has gotten so loud while engine breaking I'm concerned that people are gonna start throwing garbage at me out of their cars. Is there anything I can do to quiet her down? It's mainly a popping noise (good plug colour) but sometimes she can really get on a roll and it sounds like explosives. :roll: I have bought new manifold gaskets but haven't put them in yet.

Any ideas?
      Cheers, Steve
      Steve, I would try the gaskets first...that takes care of that problem 90% of the time if you are jetted correctly (which it sounds like you are). If that does not help with the popping, look for a split somewhere on the header.

Hap

Comment

Steve - this one's easy... Ride next to a Harley! ;-) I think the popping noise when you roll off the throttle would indicate an air leak somewhere in your exhaust system. Replace the gaskets and see if that takes care of it. Is this a stock system? Check the join between the exhaust pipes and the muffler(s) to see if they are loose or if you have a leak there. Finally, look for rust through on the underside and hidden parts of the exhaust system.... Actually, maybe you should look for holes first since there's no sense in replacing the manifold gaskets if you might need to replace the whole thing....

Good luck,

Jim

Comment

Somehow I've always liked that sound. :twisted:

Comment

I like mine to crackle a little too

Comment

wont a rich mixture cause that too?

Comment

I like the sound too but it isn't very responsible to make this much noise. I actually feel bad when pulling into my building's driveway as there are THOUSANDS of people trying to sleep within a few hundred meters of my bike when I come home at night. I'll be changing the gaskets shortly and plan on replying with the results.

Cheers, Steve

Comment

heh, almost forgot to reply :roll:

I'm happy to report that my bike is still loud but doesn't pop any more. After digging out the old gaskets I snugged up the exhaust and fired up the bike. Then I cranked the bolts down until the manifold stopped leaking.

Steve

Comment

Working...
                  X