Fast Forward Speedo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fast Forward Speedo

I recently took a long trip during which I had not one but two speedo gears go out on me. I figure about 3000 miles did not make it to the odometer. In the interest of accurate maintenance records I would like to get those miles back. I am a little leery about tearing into the speedo itself. I have thought about trying a low speed drill.

Has anyone else ever done something like this?
    Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

The drill technique should work just fine.

Comment

That would take for ever right?

That would take for ever. I doubt you could drill that sucker more than 40 MPH. Do you really want to drill you speedo for 75 hours?

Comment

He shoulld be able to bury the needle with a drill. The drill is capable of spinning the cable much quicker than the speedo drive. It would still take 30 hours even at 100 mph on the speedo.

Comment

If you keep such good records....

If you keep such good records for your maintanence just log the speedo troubles. It could only make your records look more credible.

Comment

I opened a speedo and used a drill press to spin the "tenths" wheel up to the proper mileage. That however takes some destruction of the speedo housing. It took about an hour to make 14000 miles....

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Ricks
              He shoulld be able to bury the needle with a drill. The drill is capable of spinning the cable much quicker than the speedo drive. It would still take 30 hours even at 100 mph on the speedo.
              Not true, at least for me. The speedo drive on the wheel is much faster than my B&D Electric drill. Like Chris said, you're not going to get more than about 40mph out of it (I got 45 on mine in a test a couple weeks ago).

Comment

Thanks to all for the responses. It sounds like a drill would be have to be running for three days. I would be surprised if it didn't burn out. Does Craftsman have a lifetime guarantee on their electrical tools? Certainly couldn't be a cordless.

I am open for any other ideas somebody else might have.
                Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Comment

Rent it.

Seriously though, I wouldn't sweat it. By the time you get to 100k miles that 3k will be speedo error anyway.

Comment

Perhaps you could use a small dremol tool, they spin REALLY fast. Ferris Bueller would just put in it's center stand and run it in reverse... WAIT, most bikes don't HAVE reverse!

Comment

Originally posted by dpep
                      Thanks to all for the responses. It sounds like a drill would be have to be running for three days. I would be surprised if it didn't burn out. Does Craftsman have a lifetime guarantee on their electrical tools? Certainly couldn't be a cordless.

I am open for any other ideas somebody else might have.
                      Sears Craftsman electrical tools are not guaranteed for life, just the hand tools.

Comment

Working...
                      X