'82 GS1100E jetting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'82 GS1100E jetting

I'm trying to diagnose a problem with exhaust popping when I shut down the throttle. The higher the rpm's when I chop it down the more popping I get. I'm running K&N pods, stock carbs, Kerker header, Dyna S ignition and coils. I've installed new exhaust gaskets and the pipe seems to be free of any holes, so I'm now looking at the carb setup. Other than the popping the bike runs just fine. What size pilot jet and pilot air jet should I be running? How far out should the pilot screws be turned? I realize that each bike is different but I'd like to at least start in the right ballpark. Thanks in advance, RJ

You say you have stock carbs... Are you sure there hasn't been a jet kit installed? If you're running pods you HAVE to re-jet. I'm running a similar set-up on my 1100 and some popping and such is quite common on bikes with headers. I went up one size on the pilot jet and that helped some. I also realized that the more unrestricted the pipe the more (or louder) popping I got.
    Try www.denniskirk.com for the pilot jets. I'm not sure at the moment what size I went to, so you'd have to yank one of yours out and check it.
    Jet kits and pod filters are a tinkerers dream come true. If you don't know how to fiddle you'll soon learn. Sorry ,but you sound like you're just a minor adjustment or so away from getting it right. Mine still does it some.
    The only thing I'd do first is make sure your intake tract is completely sealed. Air leaks around carb boots are a major cause of suspected carb problems. Good luck and be patient.

Comment

When I say stock carbs I mean that they are the original Mikunis, but yes the main jets have been replaced with 137.5's (way bigger than stock but it runs great with them and the plugs do not foul). Also the boots are new. Thanks for the reply.

Comment

I have got a v&h supersport pipe, K&N pod filters, Dyna S ignition and a Dynajet kit. The kit came with 138 mains, I have since bumped them up to 140's. The needles are adjusted to the fifth setting from the top. My bike does not pop so much but sort of prrs with perhaps subtle pops when I let off the gas. Plugs look good. If anything it is a touch on the rich side.
        1982 GS1000S Katana
        1982 GS1100E

Comment

RJ, you're going to have to get a jet kit to get the needle circuit right.
          This is where you spend the most time riding. If you don't, you are running too lean and will possibly burn a hole in your pistons, etc.
          And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
          Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Working...
          X