Trip Odometer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trip Odometer

Okay, it looks like it has finally died...the trip odometer on my bike is no longer turning. It has been a pain reseting it the past 4 years because sometime it would start working and sometimes it would not turn. I guess after have the button pushed at least 1800 times it has finally given up the ghost...has any one ever replaced only the trip odometer? Also, has anyone found a replacement rubber piece that actually covers the trip knob and keeps wqater out of the instrument cluster...while mine is not broken it is starting to look kinda rough.

Hap

I have not found anybody that will work on Japanese instruments. You can find folks to repair Smiths and Veglia but no one wants to work on Japanese gauges. They claim parts are not available. This includes automobile gauges too.

Comment

I haven't done this on mine, Hap, but it will keep water out

Try cutting a suitable-size split grommet in half, to get a flat side.
      Or cut a normal one in half, and cut a single split into it.

Put some grease on the shaft, then cover the grommet half with silicone glue.

Just open the split part of the grommet, slip it over the shaft and let it set p against the housing.

The silicone should settle just a bit onto the shaft, and make a good seal, and the grease will keep the silicone from sticking when it sets .
      Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

I may as well hijack this post a little...

My 78 GS1000 has the older style turn the knb to zero the odo. For many years it has been sticking on the first digit such that it turns around rather than staying on zero, one, two etc, while the last two are ok. I suspect there is something caught in there. Anyone else experinced this?

Comment

Working...
        X