Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Popping when decelerating

My GS850GL

is making a popping noise when I decelerate quickly. I am brand new to owning a bike and riding, so I am by no means familiar with the mechanics of a motorcycle, however, I noticed when I was cleaning the bike that the right tailpipe (muffler?) has some small rust holes in it. The bike starts right up and runs great while accelerating and while maintaining any specific speed. It is just when I decelerate a lot at one time that it makes the popping noise. I noticed the spark plug wires are slightly weathered and have a few cracks in them (I want to change the plugs and wires anyway), but I am thinking that the popping is only coming out of the pipe that has the small holes in it. It seems that I notice it on that side of the bike, but I could be wrong about that (wouldn't be the first or the last time for that ).

Is it possible that the rust holes in the pipe are what is causing the popping? If not, what else could it be? I am puzzled because of how well the bike runs and how easily it starts and I am thinking it couldn't be timing or carb problems.

Thanks for any and all help!!
    Mitch

Looks like you found your problem, any air leak into the exhaust, even a 'small' one like pin holes, will cause a popping on decel. patch the holes or replace the pipes and it'll most likely stop. :twisted:

Comment

Ditto on that.

Comment

Get the small holes fixed, but if that doesn't help, your bike might be running too lean.

Good luck

Comment

Air leaks can cause popping. The holes would have to be up near the headers to do this. Make sure the exhaust gaskets are sealing properly, but do not over tighten them! Running lean on the pilot jets will lead to popping, which is usually made worse by the type of exhause being run (4-1 or louder type). Mine is doing this more than usual due to the need for some tweaking of the pilot circuit and anothe carb balance, but it doe pop a little normally - I like to think it sounds like a REAL superbike!!!

Comment

a leak at the collector will cause popping too guys...or even later in the system. i think some engines are more prone to pop as well...which could be a sign the engine needs a valve adjustment too. i'm doing mine this weekend with some friends help, so we'll see how the popping is aftewards. it really only pops from 6000+ RPM if i am engine braking.

~Adam

Comment

Thanks! Any suggestions on what to use?

First of all, thanks for the responses to my post! Some great info from all!

I think I will start out trying to repair the holes and see how she does after that. Any suggestions on what I should use for the job?

I will post how it turns out upon completion and if it doesn't help, may need more advice!

I know I am really going to enjoy this site and am so glad I found it!
              Thanks again to everyone for taking the time to post your thoughts!!
              Mitch

Comment

Working...
              X