Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Free beat up 1982 GS450TZ, a worthwhile endeavor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Free beat up 1982 GS450TZ, a worthwhile endeavor?

Hello all
    Recently my brother aquired about a pretty beat up 1982 GS450TZ that had been lying around his house for a couple of years. The landlord said he could have it, as the person who owned it had abandoned it long ago.

I am wondering what your take on it is, and if it is worth it to fix it up. I would like a project bike to work on but would this be a waste of time?

From what I can see the bike needs a new gastank, tach/speedometer, headlight, lots of electrical work including a new ignition switch, new turn signals in the front and back, and probably a lot more.

What holds me back is not knowing much about the bike or it's running condition. When I opened the oil cap there wasn't a drop of oil in it.

The bike has been sitting out exposed for at least a few winters. Despite this the tires still look good, and are full of air, but should I trust them? The chain is completely rusted over.

So I guess I am asking whether or not it's worth it to try to fix it up or if years of weathering has taken too great a toll? I know nothing about how bad it can effect a motorcycle as I've always been careful to store the motorcycles we've had properly before winter.

Also, I was wondering if I could get some help for finding parts. I believe I can find a lot of parts in the local motorcycle salvage yard and I've found some on eBay, but are there any good online dealers you know of that sell new/used motorcycle parts? I managed to find www.bikebandit.com but the prices are really high (all new stuff).

Thanks for the great forum and help! Hopefully my little GS450 will take life within the comming weeks.

Here are some pictures of it: http://home.earthlink.net/~jdbcolo/1982GS450TZ/

My advise would be to part it out, it may be difficult to get ownership papers also

Comment

Well, it looks like the really important stuff is there. Frame, engine, rims, engine, carbs, engine, igniter, engine, relay, etc. I don't have enough knowledge of GS's yet to really expound upon the merits of rebuilding or not, so good luck and have fun!!

Comment

The first thing to do is see if you can get it running with the use of an auxilary tank. That can be anything from a honey bottle to a lawn mower tank. If you can get it to run decent then you can start Ebaying for the cosmetics.

Comment

I would take it and turn it into a cafe racer..... but thats just me. See if it turns over. And if it does look like it will run, start taking off everything thats busted and start new.....

Theres a ton of info here about parts that will fit your bike, and all the mechanical help you can stand.

Comment

You can get a title for any 1987 and older bike from Broadway Title or similar services. You can check with your state to check their requirements. Some states make it easy, some make it impossible.
            You can always go the rat bike route to start, and fix it up as you go along. One advantage to starting out with a bike in this condition, is that you get a good education in fixing it up. If you plan on having a mechanic work on it, instead of yourself, it won't be worth it. Thankfully these bikes are real easy to work on. Just get the manual and some tools and have at it. Any problem you can't figure out, just post here. There is enough expertise here to get any GS running. . I have a good condition GS450 with a seized engine. I got a poor condition GS450 with a good motor for $100 on ebay. I'm using the poor condition GS450 for parts for the good one. That is the cheap way to get parts. Take a look at ebay, thats where I've gotten most of my parts.

Comment

Hehe, got a go-kart frame laying around? :twisted:

It's probably too far gone to screw with and as has been mentioned, you'll probably play hell getting a title. Even if it is free you will spend more fixing it up than you can buy a decent 450 for. Part it out to get enough cash for a bike.

Comment

Go to the "In the Garage" section of this site and check out 400 rebuild story. I think this will give you a good indication of what to expect. The question you must ask is, do you want to ride or repair a bike? Lots of decent used machines are out there if you keep your eyes open. Good luck! Dave J '81 450L owner.

Comment

Wow. That thing's been beat to hell and back twice. I ride an 81 450E and I'd say the TZ is a pretty little bike, but I wouldn't take on this project. It's doable, but you're starting with 70% or less function and 0% cosmetics.

Whatever you decide, good luck.

Michael

Comment

It sounds like a bad plan. Usually a good project, is a pretty decent bike that has not been started in a few years, but hasn't been sitting outside, or needing a bunch of parts. When you get to replacing a bunch of parts, tank, instruments, turn signals, etc. even with used parts, it won't take long to invest more than the final worth. Be careful.

Comment

If the engine turns over and has compression then you have a shot. My '79 GS750 cost me $100.00, had been sitting in the guy's driveway for a couple of years and had a locked up engine. I've done all the work myself, spent close to $1000.00 on it and I love it.It may not be worth the time and money investment on a financial return basis, but I've had more fun doing this than I've had in a long time. AND I've got a bike that I can ride forever if I want. This is a fantastic website, the people here are wonderful and the expertise to assist you in the repair/restoration of your bike is right here for the asking. No matter what you decide to do with your bike you will find support and encouragement from these fine folks.

Harrison

Comment

Working...
                      X