Front fork wobble 82 GS1100GK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Front fork wobble 82 GS1100GK

I am experiencing some occasional front fork wobble on my bike. It occurs anywhere between 40 to 70MPH. Seems to occur most when crossing seams in the pavement parallel to my directon of travel. The steering head bearings are good. No evidence wear there. The bike is just about to turn over 20K miles. The front tire is new and was professionally mounted and balanced. I've read somewhere about front fork stabilizers but can't remember where. The problem isn't bad so far, just annoying. I'd rather be proactive and fix it now instead of waiting to wear something out or get thrown. Any experience in purchasing/installing these would be great.

You need to look a little further - shouldn't have any wobble after something like a seam in the road (unless it's a 6" ridge!!) - Have you checked and/or changed the oil in your forks?? 8)

Comment

Before you go that route, try a simple test:

Put the bike on the centrestand, while on a level, hard, surface.

Have someone hold the back down.

Bend down at the front and grab the front wheel with both hands.

Push up.

Feel any movement?

Do it again, and listen very carefully.....any noise of any kind?

If you got a yes to either query, you need to adjust the steering head bearings.
      Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Re: Front fork wobble 82 GS1100GK

Not enough oil in the fork tubes, or different amounts of oil in the right and left tubes will cause a wobble. Loose steering stem bearings will also do it.

Earl

Originally posted by Giblet
        I am experiencing some occasional front fork wobble on my bike. It occurs anywhere between 40 to 70MPH. Seems to occur most when crossing seams in the pavement parallel to my directon of travel. The steering head bearings are good. No evidence wear there. The bike is just about to turn over 20K miles. The front tire is new and was professionally mounted and balanced. I've read somewhere about front fork stabilizers but can't remember where. The problem isn't bad so far, just annoying. I'd rather be proactive and fix it now instead of waiting to wear something out or get thrown. Any experience in purchasing/installing these would be great.
        All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

wobble

I replaced the seals & fork oil before putting it back on the road. Was very careful to get the level exact. Didn't feel any play when I was reassembling but, wasn't specifically looking for any either. I'll raise the front end and check again. I wiggled the front wheel side to side, not up and down. The wobble is very brief & sporadic. Doesn't happen every time I change lanes. I'm probably just paranoid. First time I've ridden regularly in sveral years. I'll let you know what I find.

Comment

While testing for anything loose at the front, also check for play in the wheel bearings, and that the front axle is fully tightened into place.
            Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

It could be the front/rear tyre combination if all else checks ok. Is it the same tyre as before? Some tyres are just more sensitive than others, but should not "wobble". Also the front and rear suspension can affect things.

A fork brace does tighten up the front, particulalry on a heavier bike or if you have a full fairing.

Comment

How about wiggle instead of wobble?

I checked the front end and steering head. It is all tight and no noises. I did notice however, that I am missing the two brackets that secure the lower half of the fairing to the frame. That is probably part of what I am feeling. I never got to ride far with the old front tire as it looked about like it was going to sling the tread off so I can't really compare. The one I have is supposed to be designed to perform better on grooved pavement. I'll bet if I go get those brackets off the salvage bike I've been canibalizing, the problem goes away.

Comment

Here's my list of likely candidates:

- too high air pressure in forks
                  - loose wheel bearings (front or back)
                  - forks not aligned
                  - rear shocks pressure/dampening not matched to forks
                  - loose swingarm bearings

Comment

Fixed?

Last week I reinstalled the saddle bags, trunk and a new back tire. Front wobble went away. Now I've only got a minor back tire wiggle on grooved pavement. This I can live with.

Comment

Working...
                    X