Wheel swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wheel swap

I want to swap the 17 and 19 inch wheels on my 81 GS1100E for a couple of 18's. Anyone have any ideas. What wheels will work best. Cheers!

The 18" rear wheel from a "78" or "79" GS 1000 will work perfect, brake disc and all, mag or spoke. You will have to use the spacer from the GS 1000 on the right side of the axel, to make the brake caliper fit right. Can't help with the front. My "83" GS 1100 E has a set of "78" alunium spoke wheels from a GS 1000 standard, the front is a 19", and the brake disc, from the 1100 bolted to the right side of the spoke wheel and fit perfectly

Comment

Thanks Rp, I was more interested in newer style wheels so I can put some wider and lower tires on the bike. I have heard of some GSXR wheels fitting with some mods. Has anyone out there heard of this?

Comment

Originally posted by Radar
        Thanks Rp, I was more interested in newer style wheels so I can put some wider and lower tires on the bike. I have heard of some GSXR wheels fitting with some mods. Has anyone out there heard of this?
        Most go with 17" GSXR or Katana wheels, usually swapping out the complete front end and several on this forum have done the swap so I'm sure you'll hear from them. Do a search on the subject and also check out the old Q and A sections for info.

Comment

Wheel Swap

Radar, Keep in mind that when you put fatter tires on your bike they will translate higher forces to that spindly GS frame and may cause wobbling from excessive frame flex.

Comment

Working...
          X