Need R/R info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need R/R info

I have a 1981 GS450L. I want to replace the regulator/rectifier since they seem to be the basic problem with these bikes. I don't know if the current set-up is bad, but the bike does not start. Does the regulator from Electrex work as both or do I need to find a separate rectifier, which, I assume, is below the regulator? Also, according to the stator papers, it doesn't seem that I can test the stator without the bike running, is there an alternate solution?

Catnthehat

Your bike should still start with a faulty R/R and stator as long as the battery is charged up. The electrex uint is a regulator / Rectifier complete. I would think that your bike would have a single R/R unit also, the other gizmo on your bike may be ignitor unit or flasher unit.
    Get your bike going first then have a look at the charging system (stator pages)

Comment

I don't think the other gizmo is the igniter. The black box that sits next to the regulator says igniter on it which makes that the igniter. Whatever it is, it's below the regulator, it's got a lot of current running through it, because I touched what I thought was the negative and it sparked pretty good. BTW, the battery hooks directly to the other terminal.

Comment

If the R/R is faulty, the bike may not start. Probably won't.

Look at the Stator Papers, on this site, for ways to check the stator and the R/R. For all of them, make sure you have a fully-charged battery.

Also do a search for the Regulator/rectifier. There is a fair amount readily available.

You can simply disconnect the R/R and then try starting the bike, but it seems reasonable to do more normal checks first, such as checking that you have fresh gas in the tank, gas at the carbs, and that you have spark at the plugs, and a fully-charged battery.
        Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Yep, got fresh gas, a fully charged battery on a trickle charger, and I'm getting spark to the plugs, a nice whitish blue one to both sides when I ground it on the frame. How do I check to see if I'm getting gas at the carbs? I know the petcock is flowing, since I accidently dumped about a quart when the fuel line came off with the tank. BTW, it won't fire using starting fluid. What's the thing underneath the regulator? It's got two leads and one comes directly off the battery. I suspect it's the rectifier?

Comment

Forget the rectifier. If you have a good spark at the plugs, it is not part of your starting problem.

I am not familiar with your bike, so I cannot say for sure what is mounted in any given place.

Do you have one or two tubes running from the carbs to the petcock?

If two, you should have the handle set to run or reserve. If it is on PRIme,
            the fuel will run all the time, and needs the carb floats to stop the flow.

Pull your plugs, clean them thoroughly, then re-install.

Turn on the ignition and turn the engine over for at least five full seconds. Turn it off, and pull the plugs. What do the plugs look like now?
            Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Two tubes to the petcock, one is fuel to the carbs, the other a vacuum line to left side of the carb. Did what you said: Pulled the plugs, cleaned both with fine sandpaper, reinstalled, ran for five seconds with the choke in the "down" position, pulled the plugs. Left side, nothing on it at all, not the least bit wet. Right side had a wet spot on it, but that's it. Tried it again with the choke all the way up and same result. I'll guess the fuel ain't getting to where it needs to be, but why won't starting fluid turn it over?

Comment

A wet spot does not say whether it is wet with gas or oil

I presume gas, but with that being the case, and you are getting strong spark, but no firing even with starter fluid, it could be timing, but my first thought is that the plug wires are reversed.

Comment

Originally posted by catnthehat
                  I don't think the other gizmo is the igniter. The black box that sits next to the regulator says igniter on it which makes that the igniter. Whatever it is, it's below the regulator, it's got a lot of current running through it, because I touched what I thought was the negative and it sparked pretty good. BTW, the battery hooks directly to the other terminal.
                  This could be your regulator or rectifier (Some gs`s came with seperate regulator / rectifiers) But i dont think this is the cause of your starting problems.

Comment

Are you using the stock airbox and filter? You can't start a cold GS without them, unless you have rejetted the carbs.
                    Use full choke and don't touch the throttle until the bike has warmed up a bit.

Ron might be right: the ignition timing could be wrong.

Comment

Yes, the "wet spot" was gas and not oil. I'm using the stock airbox and filter (I noticed in another thread the lack of these can cause problems) I'll get into the timing this week. With a car timing light set on eight cylinders it should blink four times as fast as I need, but at the right spot at least once a revolution, correct? I also have the manual from clymers, so I'll do the initial timing following those instructions. Thanks for all the help, I'll let you know if it works.

Catnthehat

Comment

It is not likly that the timing is off enough to not start unless you have had the cams out or had timing chain problems CHeck that the plug wires are connected to the correct cyl, check the choke cable.

Comment

Working...
                        X