Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fouling Plugs: Black and wet within five minutes of running.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fouling Plugs: Black and wet within five minutes of running.

Have 82 GS850. Had carbs worked on, cleaned tank, replaced plugs. Now plugs foul within five minutes of starting: black and wet. Spark is weak but visible. Replced with hotter nippon plugs, still same problem. What could be causing the bike to flood! Chuck

all 4 plugs get black and wet?

first off, make sure you aren't running it on PRIME...make sure its in the ON position or reserve.

second, make sure your air filter is clean.

if that fails...then your floats might be off...which can let too much fuel into the bowl...

anyone else?

~Adam

Comment

That about covers it.

That about covers it. As long as I didn't work on your carbs the choke circuit should be fine.

Could just be rich air/mix, but it sounds worse than that. Go with Adam's advice first.

Comment

That key wording "had the carbs worked on". What exactly was done to them? cleaning? replacement of something? was float height checked? needle adjusted correctly? something left out? Chock adjustment incorrect? Let us know more... :twisted:

Comment

that's why i asked if all 4 plugs were the same.

it very well could be too rich of a mixture...which might just require him to close the mixture screws on the carb bodies a little. i wanted him to make sure the air filter isn't dirty first....

~Adam

Comment

Carb adjustments

Per Tims comment above can someone elaborate on this a little for me? I am in the process of rebuilding my GS850 carbs for the first time, and after taking them apart I am not sure what can be adjusted as far as the needles are concerned. Which needles are you refering to? I am just trying to learn all I can so I don't end up having to take the carbs off a hundred times to adjust things once I am done.

Thanks
            Curt

Comment

Basically just the float height.

Basically as long as you use the same parts only the float height can be adjusted. It usually doesnt need more than a tweaking or two to get them right. Once you get them back together the Idle, balance, and air mixture can be adjusted.

Comment

Originally posted by AOD
                that's why i asked if all 4 plugs were the same.
                ~Adam
                I assumed that the air filter was serviceable before the carbs were touched, as the posting was not referring to " it was rich, and I rebuilt the carbs, and it's still rich"

Comment

Did you change the oil? Does the oil smell gassy or is the level too high?

Are you trying to run it without the airbox?

Did the person who worked on it try and 'jet' it?

What are the fuel mixture screws (top, front of the carbs) set at?

I once left the pilot jets loose during a reassembly - that sure made it run rich!

Comment

Working...
                  X