coils - 83 550L near dead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

coils - 83 550L near dead

Hey all - I need a little help. I have an 83 GS550L that started having a problem a while back where it would lose power on a long trip. Then it started losing it on shorter trips. Then it started cutting out when hot. All the while, it started and idled great until it got hot. Since then I've rebuilt/synced the carbs and replaced the plugs and made sure the battery is good, but the problem persists. Actually, it's at a point now where it only runs on starter fluid.

I've yet to check the coils with a volt meter, but I'm pretty sure they're the culprit. I've been unsuccessful in finding a new set though, and I'm skeptical of junk yard coils being the same as mine. This bike is just a commuter, so I don't want to put the money into Accel coils/wires.

I was wondering if anyone has any ideas of where I can get a new set of coils (I've seen universal's for $40/ea) for a very reasonable price. Seems to me they shouldn't really be more than $50/pair. Does anyone know where to get a set of coils/wires for this bike, or has anyone experienced my same problem? Also, any luck with using late model coils on an old bike? I think that someone had addressed that on this board. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Nevin

You said you checked the battery, but have you checked the rest of the charging system? Symptom of running only on starter fluid would point me more towards the fuel supply rather than electrical. Just a thought.

Comment

The plugs are wet, and the gas is new and not dirty. Last night I swapped my brother's 85 GS700 coils on my bike and after about 2 cranks it not only fired on started fluid, but shot out a mean flame and proceeded to catch fire. The 700s coils seemed to toss significantly more spark. After the fire, which I put out by dousing the airbox with a cup of water I had handy, making my best effort not to get it into the carbs, I quit for the night. However, if there's not damage, I'm going to give it a go again today and at the very least, see how my coils run on his 700. If it is the coils, I guess my bigger question is trying to find a set for less than $80. Any thoughts?

Comment

Without wanting to make this sound simplistic, have you checked for spark? Remove number one wire, then remove the plug, re-attach the wire to the plug and lay it on the engine. Turn on the ignition and use the starter to turn over the engine.

Do the same for cylinder number two. (they are on different coils)

If you have spark, then your coils are working and are not likely the problem.

Frankly, I doubt this is a problem, though, since the bike seems to be OK while cool and gets progressivly poorer as it warms up (and then you get wet plugs when hot). This description suggests your bike is starting on choke and then is dying due to too much gas as it warms up.

Check for the choke sticking or a very rich mixture setting. (or both)
        Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Working...
        X