Fork Dilemma

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fork Dilemma

I have a question regarding fork sizes. Suzi had a rock flung up and hit the right fork tube. Put a pretty big gouge in it, and of course, fails to seal anymore. I see forks on EBAY, and waht I see is 3 different kinds.

1. standard fork, no air, axle mounts on front (E-Model)

2. standard fork, no air, axle mount on bottom of fork, with caps. (G)

3. air fork, axle mounts on bottom of fork, with caps (GK)

My question is can I use fork number 2, put my air caps on it, and ride happy? Or are they different sizes? Different lengths? i cannot seem to find any forks off of a 'GK, just #1 and #2. Any suggestions? :twisted:

A fork set from an early 80's (81, 82) 1000G should be exactly the same - including the the air valves. If you need measurements of any kind, just let me know and I'll be glad to get them for you. 8)

Comment

GK forks are unique to the GK I would check about having you fork tube rechromed if it is not to damaged. Do a search Forking by Frank Evanston Ill ph 847 475-1003

Comment

well, guess I don't have much choice there.......

Comment

Tim,
          Lynn is correct. The GK forks are unique. That posed a problem for me when I had my Bambicide almost two years ago. The GK's forks remained straight, but the triple tree was tweaked, and was rendered unfixable. The GK forks are thicker in diameter than the 850G, 1000G, or standard 1100G forks. The GK triple tree makes the distance between the forks be wider.

So, I "borrowed" a set of forks from GS Resources editor Dan Bard, and old friend who lives just 30 miles away. This set of forks was off an old 79 GS850. I looked in my parts bin and found a triple tree off one of my old 1982 GS850's. The triple tree fit perfectly in the GK frame; I installed the forks (after having new seals and fluid installed) with the tree, and presto, "new" front end. Everything else worked just fine, except for the fender. I located an old GS850G fender; the GK fender is too wide for the thinner, narrower-gap forks.

The air caps are all interchangeable, by the way. The "E" leading axle forks won't work on the GK because the fender won't fit. You need a fender especially made for the "L" and "E" leading axle models. Since the axle is located differently, it follows that the mounting fender holes won't line up. So, you have to get the standard forks.

If you want, I'll go into the garage and inspect my old GK forks, which have been sitting there for almost two years. I'll be glad to sell them to you. Or I can sell you a triple tree to go with the standard forks.

Nick

Comment

Well Thank you nick, I would appreciate that very much, but I guess I would like to stay with the 'GK forks, Are they in usable/resealable condition? Thanx in advance, Tim :twisted:

Comment

I'll go to the garage and dig them out, Tim. They seal just fine; no leaks up to the point where I hit the deer. I had new seals and 20W fork oil installed when I bought the bike in November, 1999. They worked just fine for two riding seasons, 2000 and 2001, with no leaks.

I'll examine them closely for straightness, then report to you later today. I'll pm or e-mail you, one way or another.

Nick

Comment

Working...
              X