slotted brake rotors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

slotted brake rotors

anyone know where i might be able to find some sloted brake rotors...either new or in good shape. i am told they were only available on the 81 GS550T or the Katana.

i believe the rotor size and bolt pattern stayed the same on most years...but i'm not sure if say, a GS1100 from 83 rotor will fit my 79 GS550.

any help is appreciated.

~Adam

Do your research and see if an 82 GS750T rotor will fit. If so you can have mine for the price of shipping...

Comment

it might be tough to 'reasearch' if they fit...i'd have to see its bolt pattern first...then know its diameter...and last thickness.

can you get me any of these numbers?

i looked at an 81 w/ slotted rotors and they looked jsut like mine...size, bolt pattern was the same.

are yours in good shape?

Comment

Adam,

I'm afraid it's not as easy as it seems.
        We had a similar question a couple of weeks ago:

Comment

Maybe I made an assumption. Do you have twin discs or single disc? The 82 T model had a single disc front brake. It was slightly larger in diameter than the dual disc system. I know this because I wanted to use it on my E but it wouldn't fit.

I will try to get you numbers tonight. I am also not guaranteeing that this disc is not warped. It wasn't when the T model was parted out, but thats been years ago. It has been sitting in a box in my garage ever since then. It could be turned though. And it looks flat although I haven't put the straightedge to it.

Good luck

Comment

The 82 T model had a single disc front brake. It was slightly larger in diameter than the dual disc system. I know this because I wanted to use it on my E but it wouldn't fit.
            i have single disc front and rear.

Hispl, do you have two slotted disc's or just one? i'm pulling the wheels off to do tires in a few weeks with some friends help...it'd be a good time to swap rotors.

i have access to a lathe here at school...i can try to get it on there and see if its true.

~Adam

Comment

I have one slotted disc from an 82 GS750T. It is from a big box of parts that was my first GS. That bike was ran over in a parking lot. I can't use it now because the E model uses dual discs.

Its measurements are

Bolt circle diameter C to C 3 1/8 inch (6 bolts)
              Outside diameter 11 19/32 inch
              Thickness 7/32 inch
              Stamped minimum thickness is 5.5mm

HTH

Comment

my bike isn't here now...but the guy i sold my old one to still has his outside. i'll stop by and measure the thickness of the solid 550 rotor and let you know.

~Adam

Comment

Hispl, i went over to my old GS550 that i sold to a guy and did some rough measurements.

outside diameter: 11.7 inch

bolt center to bolt center (i could not measure across the diamter so i did one bolt to another): 1.50 inch

thickness: .260 inch (13/50)

so what this says is our OD's are the same...but your thickness is actually thinner? someone was trying to tell me they're thicker because of the slots...but that's obviously not the case.

if the bolt holes line up, i think it'll work

~Adam

Comment

Working...
                  X