What fries what?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What fries what?

I am diagnosing some charging problems with my 81 GS450S and now I have a question. What fries what? As in, if you replace the stator but not the regulator and the regulator is bad, will it fry the new stator? And what about the opposite?

Picked up a new rewound Cycletronics stator on Ebay for 20 bucks. I want to replace the stock reg/rec with a Honda unit (but boy, there are a BUNCH on ebay and which one to get?) and would prefer not frying any of my cheapie components.

Thanks in advance,
    Kurt Kesler

This is a quote from argonsagas, when my r/r and stator both fried:

"If you can afford the new R/R, go with Electrex. If not, look for one off a 400/450 Honda from early 80's. Not clear what bike you have, but on several models it will bolt right on. You will have to splice your old connector onto the Honda wires. There is an extra wire (black) that has to tie into a live circuit on your bike. (Taillight is one option) and a green wire that goes directly to the negative side of your battery."

Comment

So any opinion on this one? And don't some lowlife tell me it's then wrong one and then go buy it out from under me, either. CX500 regulators are up there every week.

Thanks,
      Kurt

Comment

It should work fine 8) Put one on my 850 last year Its best not to worry about the connectors and just solder the wires together. Make sure to add an extra ground wire from the reg/ case mt bolt to the neg battery terminal. Also wire the stator wires direct to the reg and NOT thru the light switch

Comment

Working...
        X