Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What year did the gear indicator stop coming on Suzukis?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What year did the gear indicator stop coming on Suzukis?

On my 80gs1000e I noticed that it does not display the gear the bike is in like it does on my 77gs550. I never really look at the indicator on the 77 anyways. What year did they stop this option? Or am I missing something?

I'm trying to remember too much from the past. My "77" GS 750 had it, I don't think my "78" 1000 standard, "79" 1000 "S" nor "80" 1000 E had it, but my "80" 1000 G & "80" 1100 E did have it. The "83" 1100 E, the "85" 1150 E, & the "86" 1150 ES that I have now, all have the gear position indicator. Rekon why they left it off the chain drive 1000's?

Comment

my 83 gs 750es has one

Comment

MY 1100EX (81) doesn't have the indicator but my 400 does. I don't think the 1100ES (83) I park beside has an indicator either and it has the same guage set as my 1100.

Steve

Comment

My 84 GS550E has the gear indicator, along with a fuel gauge... Pretty sure the 85s had them too.

Rob

Comment

Did it go from standard to option on the gs1000?

Comment

My 83 1100ED has the gear indicator. I don't think it was an option though. More a standard item.
              Doug aka crag antler

83GS1100E, gone
              2000 Kawasaki Concours
              Please wear ATGATT

Comment

Perhaps I have a speedo from another brand of bike? The speedo flips around a lot and the tach is all over the place.....do I need to post a picture? I think I will tonight. I just got the bike a month ago and have been working on getting it sorted out. Tach/speedo unit looks like its been on and off the bike a few times as the wires are visible and it looks a little sloppy, looks like a Suzuki style. Orange guages, neutral indicator, oil pressure light, fuel indicator in the speedometer side.....

My 77gs550 tach/speedo unit looks totally different. No gear indicator.

Anybody have a picture of their tach/speedo unit off their 80gs1000 series model?

...saw this on Ebay, mine looks nothing like this!!!!

Comment

Did bikes have options back then, I don't remember any. except maybe something from Honda Line, this was something made for Honda, then sold thru Honda to go on Honda bikes. I really don't remember anything you could order as an "option". Since Steve said his "81" 1100 E had no gear position indicator, my "80" 1100 E must not have had one. It would have been straight in the center, but I put a pushbutton headlight switch in the center of my 1100 instrument cluster. My memory is about gone now, I hate to think what's next.

Comment

77gs550: That looks to be the same as my 400s instrument panel. If it is causing your grief you should pull the speedo and tach cables out of their sheaths and grease them.

Also, looking in my factory manual it shows that the 1100LT did have the indicator while the EX, SZ Katana and EZ did not.

Steve

Comment

My 82 GS1100E has the gear indicator.

Comment

update: The 83 1100ES I park beside does have the gear indicator.

Steve

Comment

81 GS650GL has gear indicator and gas gauge

Comment

76 RE5A has a segmented LED digital indicator same as my 79 850L. My former 85 550E had an indicator, but it was a strip of numbers with backlighting that illuminated the gear you were in. Both the 850L and the 550E have fuel guages. The RE5 has a reserve light.

Comment

Working...
                            X