WHATS WRONG WITH MY BIKE???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WHATS WRONG WITH MY BIKE???

ok a few weeks ago i noticed that my bike was only running on 3 cylinders. so i replaces the plugs an she ran perferct again, although the plugs were dark with a fluffy carbon coat. i parked my bike the past few days becuase of bad weather and when i went to start it u ptonite it was only running on 3 cylinders again. so i baught another plug to put in the #1 cylinder and she strated right up and ran good again. does anyone have any idea why my bike is going through this many plugs? my guess its to rich a mixture?? ne ways i need ur help guys.

p.s ive been having a hard time getting the jetting dialed in since i baught the bike. its a 83 gs 750 es with aftermarket pipe an stock airbox

for one thing, if the plugs are new, just get a wire brush and clean the electrode. Why throw away a perfectly good plug. Second the fuel mixture is too rich. that is why the plugs are black. There must be a ton of carbon build up on the piston and valves if your plugs are black. They should be a light brown in color. The screws on the side of the carbs only adjust the air mixture at idle. Depending on your model there are fuel enrichment screws located in a different location. I hope somebody here can help you with that.

Comment

thanks for the reply, if my bike is jetted to rich do u think pod air filters would help to balance things out??

Comment

It may need to be ran out.

It may need to be ran for a while.

I screwed up my choke circuit and fouled out all my plugs. After I fixed the choke circuit it took about an hour or more of riding to clear out the cylinders enough to get rid of the fouling problem.

It may not be jettet to rich.... Just out of adjustment.

The pod air filters would probably lean it out too far.

I'm sure your choke passage is fine, but once you lean out the mix it may need to be ridden for a while to clear up the plugs.

Comment

alrite ill try running it for a while and see what hapens , thanks for hte reply

Comment

Sounds rich, or a very poor spark.
            First check/clean your coil/plug lead/plug cap connections and gap the plugs correctly. If it's carburetion, it could be a lot of things. You say you're having a hard time jetting it. What have you done with the jetting?
            Are the carbs clean and properly synch'd? Need more background to narrow down the possibilities.
            And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
            Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

well when i baught the bike this summer the bike had an unnamed 4-1 pipe on it with a stock air box, but the main jets were 120.5. i dont think that thats the standard jet sized, ive been messing with the air idle screw trying to get it to run better but no such luck. also the cover on my air cleaner missing so there actually isnt any air cleaner in it besides a pice of thin foam i used to cover the hole on the top of the air box where the air cleaner si suposed to be inserted. and yes the carbs ave been synched and are clean inside.

Comment

Originally posted by pete_holden
                well when i baught the bike this summer the bike had an unnamed 4-1 pipe on it with a stock air box, but the main jets were 120.5. i dont think that thats the standard jet sized, ive been messing with the air idle screw trying to get it to run better but no such luck. also the cover on my air cleaner missing so there actually isnt any air cleaner in it besides a pice of thin foam i used to cover the hole on the top of the air box where the air cleaner si suposed to be inserted. and yes the carbs ave been synched and are clean inside.
                Hi. You may have inherited someone's jetting problems. You also need to do something about the air filter setup. If you are happy with the bikes power, (if it was running right) here's what I would do.
                Find the correct air filter (stock or K&N) and replace the air box lid or at least use some duct tape in place of the lid.
                Next, find out from people at this site or the Suzuki dealer, what the correct stock main jets and pilot jets are. I would not trust other sources of info. I believe your jet-needle is in a fixed position and is not adjustable, but verify that with someone here or the dealer. Then find out what the float height is supposed to be. These are the most frequently tampered with parts in the carbs and you need to make sure everything is stock to continue your jetting.
                Once you know the jetting and air filter set up is correct, the only way you will have any problems is if you have a mechanical problem or did'nt do the work right. Carbs must be clean and blown out with compressed air. All o-rings must be in good shape. The diaphragms too. Carbs must be synch'd. I don't know what you've done to the carb mixture screws, my guess is they are about 2 turns out. Turning them out allows more mixture, not just air or fuel.
                If you take my advice, let us know what you find. Don't try to adjust things until you know for a fact what the stock jetting, etc, should be. If you have inherited carbs messed up by someone, you'll never get the existing pieces to work.
                And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

thanks for the advise, we just recieved our first snow here in newfoundland so the bike wont be out anymore untill the summer but im gona try to fix it over the winter as well ad pgrade the wheels with newer gsxr style, thanks guys for all ur help

Comment

Working...
                  X