Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

handlebar switch assemblies: Universal or Not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

handlebar switch assemblies: Universal or Not?

I had a wiring harness failure, and need to replace my grip-switches (hi-lo-turn, horn, start, engine kill)...

Can I buy a set from any-old-gs-model and stick them on (like it is with ignition locks), or are these gonna be 'unique'???

You have to be careful.

You have to be careful if you don't get one off the same bike as yours. I know some of the guys have taken them off GSX-R's and made the wires work. For me though if it didn't plug in I didn't want to fool with it. You can cross reference the part #s to make sure. Also you can look on your switch for mold the #. If you go by the mold # make sure the plug + extra wires are the same. I tried to go through all this for a switch on my bike. When that all failed I just bought a new one for $100.00 It was worth it. used ones can go for up to $60.00, and well they are used.

Comment

ANY switch can be rewired to work on your bike if you are willing to do a little work

Comment

I've been considering using switches from a 1200 Bandit on my 1100...newer contacts, easier to find, ergonomically better.

Hap

Comment

I just ordered a left control set for my '79 GS 750. A K&S universal replacement that I'll probably have to rewire. It cost $60, but the replacement from Suzuki is $87 and not available anyhow. I figure that this is better than a used set, and I can actually get it from my dealer.

Harrison

Comment

Ebay replacement off a 550 is $9.99 + S&H...

I guess what I want to know is 'Are the handlebar tubes different sizes, or is there anything else that will prevent me from using some-odd-GS-switch' with a little rewiring...

My harness fried, the replacement is from a newer GS (an 88 450L), so I've got some fancy wiring to do allready... A little more won't change much...

Comment

Dave I am pretty sure that on the GS series of bikes (and most Suzukis that use tube type handlebars) they are all the same size.

Hap

Comment

The handlebars for nearly all Japanese bikes (except the new breed of cruisers) should be 7/8". Harley uses a 1" bar, along with the large Japanese crusiers recently.

Alot of Suzukis use the same plug shape for the controls, with minor differences in the pin-out of the control. If you go with a different model, it should simply be a matter of comparing the wiring in the new switch to the wiring of the old. When I installed Katana controls on my bike, the actual wiring only took about 20 minutes. You can always splice before the plug on the new controls to make any changes you need to.

There are some notable improvements, like different brake and clutch switch type (newer ones are plunger vs. the old sliding contact type), and plastic bodies as opposed to the old pot-metal ones. If you're going to go with a different model, might as well get the newest ones you can find that will work. My donors came from a '92 600 Kat - master cylinder and throttle included.

-Q!

Comment

Working...
                X