Spark Plug Caps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spark Plug Caps

I've search a few times now and cannot seem to find a definite answer, I need to get myself some new spark plug caps (a couple a corroded). It appears from searching that the caps need to have some resistance but just how much resistance? Should it be 1k, 5k, what's the difference (and don't say 4k )? Consequences of lower resistance?

Thanks

I bought some NGK caps. I believe they are 5K. I've seen them recommended here many times.
    And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
    Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

I second that, and my local M/C shop had tehm for $3.80 each. The 5k is what the stock ignition uses. :twisted:

Comment

You need the 5K NGK caps.

Earl
        All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

5k Caps.

Get the 5k caps.

I used two straigt SDO5F
          and two angled VD05F

The D means that they are made for smaller plugs.
          The caps are the same just the rubber fits a little more snug.

If you want the looser correct size go with the B05F.

The dealer and den kirk should be the same price. About $15.00 for all four. If you order from den kirk you can get a 70" roll of new 7mm copper core wire for $3.00 to replace your old wires.

Comment

what does the resistence do? can't you just run regular caps with out the resistors? i'm running accel coils and wires and there are no resistors in there as far as i can tell?

ryan
            78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
            82 Kat 1000 Project
            05 CRF450x
            10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

Originally posted by first timer
              what does the resistence do? can't you just run regular caps with out the resistors? i'm running accel coils and wires and there are no resistors in there as far as i can tell?

ryan
              Exactly, why use 5k? If it is to suppress interference with radio/tv then I don't care

Comment

Yeah enquiring minds need to know
                John.

Comment

You don't need the caps with a built-in resistor. They are meant to suppress interference.
                  In fact you should get a better spark using standard plug caps.
                  But if your coils are okay, it wouldn't make much of a difference.

Comment

If you have electronic ignition you need them.

If you have electronic ignition you need them. Other wise the igntion will have trouble. I'm not sure if the Automotive radio suppresion wires are a good substitution for the caps, but your safest bet is to stay with the resistor caps, solid core wires, and non resistor plugs.

Comment

Thanks for the contradicting replies, it really helps

I actually heard a rumour yesterday that NGK are to phase out the 5k caps since its only the older bikes that require them (apparently). Not sure if thats worldwide or just nick of the woods.

Cheers
                      Anthony

Comment

Working...
                      X