clearcoat question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

clearcoat question

I am about to get an '82 1100e. Some of the clearcoat on the engine side covers is peeling a little bit. I was wondering if this might show that the bike actually has more than the 12,800 miles the owner said. It was supposedly always garaged.

The clear is not that great.

The clear on these things is not that great. Probably due to what ever was left under the clear from the factory. Its just a mater of time before they clear fails. Wait till you take it off. The only thing worse than the clear are the casting marks left under it. He may be making claims that he can't back up but its not uncomon for these things to have low miles.

Comment

clearcoat question

It could easily be the original mileage. I purchased my '83GS1100L with 9400 original miles two years ago, provenance verifiable, and the clearcoat on my gas tank is now starting to fail bigtime, despite the fact the bike is always covered when not in use, and frequently waxed with a high grade motorcycle wax (S100 Carnauba). The clearcoat seems to be becoming brittle. Big insect or gravel/rock strikes on the tank surface penetrate the clearcoat and make it peel off.
      And, the clearcoat has failed on the engine side covers as well.
      Scott

Comment

thanks

Comment

I buffed off the clearcoat with polish and a wheel on the drill and the engine looked 20 years newer on my 77gs550. No more clearcoat with dull faded milky spider webs..... 8)

Comment

Working...
          X